Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maiden voyage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all. Still new to sailing here, and I finally got my boat out on the ocean yesterday. I learned a ton. but now need to fix things that I have no clue about.

Luckily a buddy is staying at the yacht marina here, and he has taken me under his wing. Forgive the lack of terminology (but please correct it). Also, living in southern Japan, there aren't any convenient shops to get to and most places online don't ship here. I appreciate the advice of doing it right the first time (buy factory stuff), but that tends to take forever and break the bank in the process.

Here are the first few questions I had:

Question 1
The tramp is ripped a bit near the cleats that attach it to the hulls, and just a bit of pressure on it yesterday while tacking cause it to rip a bit more. Replacing it is on the list, but not immediately. The inner 'hose' is pretty trashed and that is the root of the problem. I plan on buying some PVC pipe tomorrow and replacing the tubing.

Should I cut out enough space for the cleat to fit and run the rope through there, or should each section be separate like it was originally?

Question 2:
The boat has back rests, but they aren't screwed/bolted in. Any direct outward pressure pushes them out. Leaning out and down, the friction holds them in, but is there some equipment missing that should lock these into place?

Question 3:
Someone has the rudder locking into place as an avatar (thanks), that thought me how it looked. How tight should the tiller linkage and rudder cam be? I took out the spring and the tension screw because they were immobile, but they work fine now. How much pressure should there be in that little clip?

Question 4:
The sail is really tight when I first put it into the mast, hard to even get in and started. Should that be easy? It also catches where the top and the bottom half are put together. It is the first time the sail has been on in 2 years, so will that get easier with usage?

Question 5:
The velcro at the back of the tarp is completely decayed from exposure. Any easy fixes for that?

Question 6:
Where do you stow your paddles?

Question 7:
It looks like there are 7 battens. 3 Are very easy to put in, but the others have 2 of the same size. I thought they might go in together, but that only made the sail rigid. The shape stayed the same, even after tacking (it was light wind, and soon the wind righted the concave part, but it was clearly being held by the double batten). One set is black, about 2cm thick. The other was a white 1cm piece that looked more like the top battens. Can the previous owner have had 2 sets of battens for the 3rd and 4th ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[i]The tramp is ripped a bit near the cleats that attach it to the hulls, and just a bit of pressure on it yesterday while tacking cause it to rip a bit more. Replacing it is on the list, but not immediately. The inner 'hose' is pretty trashed and that is the root of the problem. I plan on buying some PVC pipe tomorrow and replacing the tubing
Should I cut out enough space for the cleat to fit and run the rope through there, or should each section be separate like it was originally?â€

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@ Jim - Thanks a ton for the info. I went to do some work on the boat today, but forgot the yacht harbor is closed on Tuesdays. Hung out with some friends who live on their yacht there, and will make it back again tomorrow.

I will snap some pictures as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a pic of a backrest quick pin.

Image[/quote]

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmmm. Thanks for that picture. My Hobie does not have holes for the pins. Should I drill them? I felt under the post and it looks like the top is sealed, so no leakage problems there. Also, how many pins should I have? Just 2 in the back or do I need 4? It looks like the previous owner just sailed with nothing at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, get the pins and drill some holes! You only need 1 per per corner, so purchase four 1/4" pins.
With the backrest in place, measure 3/4"-1" from the edge of the hull, directly above the centerline of the backrest tubes. Drill through to at least 1-1/2". You will go through about 1/2" of hull material, the hull sleeve, then the crossbar, finally the backrest tube, the latter three layers bieng alumninum of course.
Test fit the pins. Then pull the backrests out and drill the holes in the backrest tubing out one size larger, say 9/32". This prevents putting stress on the pins when underway.
Hope this helps.

2007 Hobie Wave