Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave for the Texas 200?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,

I am historically a monohull guy (Columbia Contender 24) however I am wanting to get into the world cats. I am very interested in the wave do to ease of setup and the fact that is seems very capable in higher winds, not to mention it sounds like the perfect boat for my kiddo to learn on.

My ulterior motive for wanting a wave is to be able to trailer it down to south Texas for the Texas 200. First off I would like to know what the actual load capacity of the wave is, as I am planing to take a friend and camping gear. I'm thinking we'll have roughly 550 to 600 lbs total. is this doable?

Secondly, I am planning to sleep on the tramp each night (wait, that didn't come out right) with a tarp strung over head. What are the dimentions of the waves tramp? Is it long enough to lay out on? Also, how quickly will it usually take for the tramp to dty out after a days worth of sailing, as I really don't want to sleep on a wet bed!!!

Thanks for any help you may be able to lend!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

First off - nothing wrong with sleeping with tramps. I mean ON tramps. :oops:

Second - I too have been thinking about the TX200 on my Wave - it should work. Some guy did it this year on a hobie 14 turbo. However, if I did the TX200 on a Wave, I would go alone. I dont think you could take a friend and both of your gear. The listed weight capacity is 800lbs, but slogging 600lbs on the Wave is really going to affect your speed.

Sleeping on the boat is not something I have tried yet. The trampoline drys off really quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scuzzle... Thanks for the reply. I have read a bunch of your other post. It sounds like you have loged many hours on your Wave.

I'm about 95% sold on the wave being the perfect boat for me, however my fear is growing out of it in a year or two and not hearing the end of it when I tell my wife I want to upgrade. It looks like there are a ton of upgrades out there (jib, kite, etc.) that will alow the boat to grow with me. have you done any of these upgrades to your boat? Do you ever see yourself growing out of your Wave?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The only upgrade I have is the mainsheet traveler. Its a nice addition.

Here's the deal with outgrowing a boat: I am totally happy with the boat I have until I start trying to keep pace with a Hobie Tiger and I get that "biggerbetterfasterstronger syndrome" that a lot of guys get. For a little while I think "why didn't I buy the Orange II catamaran and start breaking sailing records" but I eventually realize that I have a finite amount of money/time/avaliable crew and realize how much fun it is to cruise around the local lake with the wife and kid or blast around solo in 30mph winds.

Yea, I would like a bigger faster catamaran, I would even like to have a cabin cruiser (Catalina or something), but the Wave is a nice setup for me and my little local lake.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those are all good points!!! Seeing as how the wife isn't a sailing fanatic like I am, having a boat I can solo is probably the way I need to go! Thanks for your input!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The tramp is way big enough to sleep on, even for a couple.

I've had my Wave for two years, now, and don't feel an "outgrow" issue. All the reasons I bought my boat still apply.

On a good day (15-20 knots wind or better), It's hard to think there could be a better single-hand, easy to transport, easy to handle, easy to launch, boat that's as exciting a ride. Just need a soft launch area, don't even need a boat ramp.

Scuzzlebutt is right on the weight. I'm 178 lbs, and when I'm sailing solo, that boat flies and dances. With another 200 lb. adult, it still works OK, but add a third and the boat really rides low and slow. I'd keep it under 400 lbs, if you can, for best results.

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last year I sailed a two day trip around Krk island with a friend. I slept on a tramp in a sleeping bag and I must say it was very comfortable. My friend slept on the ground. I think sleeping in two on the wave tramp may not be so comfortable (unless you sleep with your girlfriend) since the tramp is no more flat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, It's definately a one man tramp,
or
one man-one woman tramp

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've done it on a hobie 18 (smaller tramp and wetter boat) and loved it.

I did it last year on my Tamanu H18 Frankenhobie and had jsut as much fun.

I'd make a plan and do it. You probably want to either organize your gear and drybag it on the front of the tramp or make some hatches (bigger is better) to stuff it in the hulls.

My father in law probably wouldn't want me to hack holes in his Wave....

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

scuzzlebutt wrote:
The only upgrade I have is the mainsheet traveler. Its a nice addition.

Doesn't the Traveler come standard in latest Waves ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The traveler is an option which I am getting on my Wave. I am also going with the solid tramp. I don't go get
wet from every little wave going through a mesh tramp. There is no kite option for the Wave. Just jib, and spinnaker. I am thinking about going on the Texas 200 too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sailorsloan wrote:
I am thinking about going on the Texas 200 too.

Wave fleet in 2010 TX200?