Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West System G/Flex Epoxy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wandered into West Marine to pick up some Marine Goop, to reattach my Wave's seat pads; and they told me about this new stuff "G/Flex Epoxy" which they said was specifically designed to stick to plastic boats and kayaks, like Hobie's.

Anyone have any experience with it? It's $20 for a 4oz (fairly large) container of each part. Is it suitable for re-sealing the ports as well as the seat pads?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Admin

We usually suggest simple contact cement for re gluing seat pads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On the 2008 Wave I recently purchased, all four pads were coming up on one or both ends. The Hobie dealer I purchased my boat from apparently tried to re-attach the pads using a silicone adhesive. It stuck great to the pad, but hardly at all to the hull.

My brother, who is a prosthetics and orthotics fabricator, suggested using contact cement. I used the Original Weldwood by DAP and I have not had any problems since. I removed all of the original adhesive from the pad and plastic (hull) by sanding. The hulls under the pads appeared to be very smooth from the factory with little or no mechanical surface preparation such as sanding. Personally, I think the hulls could use a little surface preparation to help improve the mechanical component of the bond.

Anyhow, in my experience, the Gougeon Brothers (West System) really seem to know what they are talking about. If I were you, I would just call them up and tell them what you're working on. There technical support has always seemed great to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SteveH wrote:
...I used the Original Weldwood by DAP and I have not had any problems since. I removed all of the original adhesive from the pad and plastic (hull) by sanding. The hulls under the pads appeared to be very smooth from the factory with little or no mechanical surface preparation such as sanding. Personally, I think the hulls could use a little surface preparation to help improve the mechanical component of the bond...
I had to re-glue mine last year. I found the same to be true. The stock adhesive was not sticking to the hulls very well. I also scuffed up the surface w/ some 100 grit sandpaper, then used Weldwood Gel contact cement. I found the gel easier to work with, and seemed to fill the voids of the foam pad better. It has been sticking great since.

2007 Hobie Wave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've used the DAP Weldwood contact cement in both forms, the "regular" and the Fast-Dry.
The Fast-Dry version works soooo much better. In fact, it's what Hobie sends with rail rug kits for the 'glass boats. If it works for that application, it certainly will keep a seat glued down, just take special care on all the edges, wipe off the excess with acetone.