Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m in the process of purchasing a new Wave; There’s a 500.00$ difference between two of the dealers I’ve talking to, boat for boat, The lower priced dealer is about a 170 miles from my home and the other dealer is about 45 miles away, I understand that Hobie states that the boat must be returned to the dealer of purchase for warranty work. Could the 500$ difference end up being a headache for me.
So far, everything I have read about the Wave has been positive. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bwana, me like Wave! Wave much fun! Whole family sail Wave!

500.00$ buy much gas! Wave have few problems. Buy from man on far side!

As far as suggestions go, where do you sail? What's the consistent wind like? How big are you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ask the closer dealer to match price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I doubt you will have any problems with the Wave.

A) Ask closer dealer to match price

B) Take the family and make a weekend out of going to pick up your new Wave from the far-away dealer

Personally, I had to choose between Dallas and Houston TX to buy my Wave. Houston was 2 hours further away but a lower price on the boat. I went with Houston.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feed back, As far as the dealer matching price…they said they couldn’t do it. I think I’ll just go for the longer ride.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a business person, I always try and match prices with my competitors, especially if I have it in stock. If they will not budge, then do they really want to make a sale? In today's economy, as long as they are making a profit, it's still a good deal for them. Its only about a 10% discount. As for warranty, why wouldn't another authorized Hobie dealer be able to perform warranty work?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CONGRATS on your new boat!!!! You've made an EXCELLENT choice!

We are VERY loyal to our local dealer in upstate NY. They donate $ to the Fleet to help run our regatta, they race with/against us and will bring parts you order out to a Thur nite fleet race. I can't imagine looking into a dealer farer away. But $500 bucks is a big chunk of change.

Warranty stuff isn't much of an issue. New Hobies rarely have any serious issues.

Is there a Fleet in your area? Have you sailed before? Is either dealer offering delivery/set-up?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in Dallas and chose to use the local dealer. I could have mail ordered boat for less money, but want to support the local dealer. At this time of recession, I felt it was important for the local dealer to survive. They let me put together my Trailex trailer at their business over two days. Made sure I got my rebate. They let the local fleet hold training sessions in their loft room. The more Waves they sell the more people I can race against. I don't want to drive a long way to pick up parts if they are not around anymore. So it more than just saving some money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Thanks again for everybody’s input!
I’ve sailed but never owned sail boat. Power boats always have been my thing so actuality this will be new to me. I have two daughters that expressed there interest in a Hobie Cat so we decided on a joint venture, of course I’m the financer.

As a part time businessman myself in marine maintenance, I fully aware of what it mean to have customers that are loyal to you. I’m not one to beat someone to death over price, never have and never will, we all know what we can and can not do. I’ve seen some nice packages on the internet offered for boat and trailer, I Asked the dealer about package price……nothing there either. No need to beat a dead horse, were buying a Hobie Cat and and from that point on it's nothing but a good time!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have too have own powerboats. One thing I missed while using powerboats is the closer relationship with the water and wind that sailboats give you. I have owned two powerboats, hobie 16, starfish, windsurfers and had good times on all. I chose the Wave now because getting older I wanted a boat that I could rig solo and short rig time. Enjoy your new boat.