Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a brand new 2015 Wave late last October. While I received a great deal, it was too cold to sail so it is still in the boxes in the garage. I am really looking forward to sailing it this coming late spring/summer/early fall!

It is kept at and will be used on a good sized inland lake in northern Michigan. When not in use it will be firmly held in place on a hoist in the lake next to the dock. The Wave will not move around but the mast will be subject to any prevailing winds. The Wave (on its hoist) will be in the sun from sunrise to sundown, starting in mid-May thru early October. When I am not there, it will remain on the hoist versus being disassembled and moved back into the garage.

I want this Wave to last a long time and am willing to make sure it gets the very best care.

I have several questions which I think I know the answers to but would very much appreciate your collective assistance:

1. Should I leave the mast up (comp tip and all) when it is not being used
while the Wave is firmly attached to the hoist? If not, does the whole mast
need to come down or just remove the comp tip?

2. If the mast can stay up, should I leave the sail on the mast if it is lowered
down all the way and in its bag? Or should it be lowered, removed from the
mast, put in its storage bag and moved to the garage?

3. I am thinking about buying the Universal Cover (#314-13A) to protect the tramp,
hulls and seat pads. This cover would always be on it when not in use. Should I
buy this cover or it is not worth the money?

4. Last but not least, should all ropes/lines be removed from the rigging when it is not
in use? If yes, should they be stored in the garage or can they be stored under the cover?

Obviously the above questions relate to how easy it will be to simply lower the hoist, push the Wave off the hoist and out I go for an afternoon sail. If a little (or more) work is needed before I can set sail, no problem. I just want to make sure I am not taking short cuts in the care of my brand new boat in order to make my get-ready-to-sail life easier.

Many advance thanks for your advices!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think others will address the "mast up" while being stored outdoors issue. I personally would not.

I do keep the Wave on the beach for three weeks in the fall, with the mast stepped. Each evening I attach a 1/4" line, about 4ft above the tramp, around the mast and then around both side stays (forming a triangle) pulled tight - this keeps the rigging tight.

The one caveat I have concerns the cover you want to purchase. I previously owned a 16ft rotomolded Cat (different mgr) that I stored out doors for a year here in Ga. with a cover purchased from a well known marine supplier, not Hobie nor West Marine. The cover was designed to slip over the hulls, as well as, cover the entire tramp. It touted a silver exterior (to reflect heat) with a black underside.

After a year of storage outdoors, the black underside seriously discolored the banana yellow hulls. It took hours and hours of elbow grease to remove most of the black discoloring. Beware.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My opinions...

1. Should I leave the mast up (comp tip and all) when it is not being used
while the Wave is firmly attached to the hoist? If not, does the whole mast
need to come down or just remove the comp tip?
I garage store mine, but I see plenty of cats stored with the mast up. To take the comp tip off, you'd be lowering the mast anyway. My opinion would be to leave it up during sailing season and take the mast off for the winter.

2. If the mast can stay up, should I leave the sail on the mast if it is lowered
down all the way and in its bag? Or should it be lowered, removed from the
mast, put in its storage bag and moved to the garage?
When you lower the sail, it comes out of the mast anyway. Store in the garage.

3. I am thinking about buying the Universal Cover (#314-13A) to protect the tramp,
hulls and seat pads. This cover would always be on it when not in use. Should I
buy this cover or it is not worth the money?

4. Last but not least, should all ropes/lines be removed from the rigging when it is not
in use? If yes, should they be stored in the garage or can they be stored under the cover?
We only have a halyard and mainsheet. I would leave the halyard up with the mast in season and just replace it more frequently. If you store your mast in the garage for the winter, leave the halyard attached unless you have critters that will chew it (mice, etc). Take the mainsheet and blocks into the garage for the winter - leave under the covers while sailing season. Some people loosen their tramp lacing for the winter, but I was too lazy and nothing bad has happened yet.

I leave the drain plugs loose so the hulls can vent air in/out as the temps change. Tighten them before sailing :)

Obviously the above questions relate to how easy it will be to simply lower the hoist, push the Wave off the hoist and out I go for an afternoon sail. If a little (or more) work is needed before I can set sail, no problem. I just want to make sure I am not taking short cuts in the care of my brand new boat in order to make my get-ready-to-sail life easier.