Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Matt, any realistic chance of the twixxy coming over?

Nope.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dang! There seems to be a lot of choice on this site: http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/index. ... bie_twixxy

What gives, I thought we were the land of the free? Freedom from choice more like it to coin a phrase from Devo.

What gives? Hobie was INVENTED in the states. Now the euros are outbuilding / designing us?

I've said it before - 300MM people and we can't muster the demand? Sheesh. Said days for America.

Hobie. Help.

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed a hobie max during my vacation in france... very neat boat as well!
http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,hobie_max

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat Europe tends to go a bit overboard in their line up. Too many choices IMHO. We and our dealers simply can not support that, so we select models that enhance our line up and not confuse it.

We offer 9 sailing models here already and then another 15 Kayak models which come in a number of colors...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to disagree with you Matt.I bet there is a market out there in the USA. I have a Hobie Wave and love it. But, I would definetly purchase one of the more high performance "Wave like" european models. I live on a lake that is too small for a 16. I frequently solo sail. I would love to have the options available on some of those european models to get more speed and performance.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think one more choice would be really nice. one more "plastic boat" between the wave and the Getaway would be great. I see Matt';s point about all the different plastic boats they have, many are very very alike. However, the Twixy is different, it is a nice looking boat just like we have been talking about.

Matt is there any affiliation between Hobie Europe and USA, or are they independent entities?

Why not steal their Twixy for the US market?

I would buy one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But when crunch time came. When you put pen to check... credit card to reader... :wink:

You don't think you'd get tired of the Twixxy?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the deal. I love my Wave, no question about it. It is easy to rig and in heavy air an absolute blast. It also is good for teaching kids to sail and just for goofing off on. But I am getting a little bored with it unless it is blowing more than 15 out. Under that it just kinda slogs along. I am excited because this Sunday is forecast for 15 gusts to 28 and I will be able to get out and sail fast.
Lets compare:
Wave is 245lbs, 13.0 feet long with a 20 foot mast and 95 sq feet of sail.
Twixxy is 309 lbs, 14.5 feet long with a 23 foot mast and 135 sq feet of sail
Getaway is 390 lbs, 16.7 feet long with a 25 foot mast and 180 sq feet of sail
the 16 is 320 lbs, 16.5 feet long with a 26.6 foot mast and 218 sq feet of sail

The Twixxy will still be rather easy to move around the beach and set up solo, yet in light air that extra sail area will really help out. In heavy air you can double trap the boat and get into some advanced sailing, yet I would guess it would be an easy boat to sail and right solo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For all the money you would put into buying, shipping and importing a Trixxy, I would just buy a nice 16 some cat trax, and a righting bag. Youll have a better boat that is more fun and has more support/parts here in the US.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

salve sono Pietro e sono italiano, non sono mai andato in barca a vela ma sono sempre stato attratto dalla vela, e siccome , attraverso internet, adesso ho conosciuto i cat e ne voglio acquistare uno che nel primo momento sarà uno usato (h14 o similari) e poi tra un anno uno nuovo
e quello che volevo acquistare era proprio un "Wave" , il "Gatewey qui non viene venduto, ma vedendo il vs post credo che qui vendono modello più interessanti del Wave come il dragoon o h15
a me piacerebbe usare sul cat tutte le vele, come fiocco e gennacher o spinnacher(con esperienza)
quindi vi chiedo;
h14 è buono per iniziare?
per un cat nuovo quale mi consigliate?

ciao e grazie
Pietro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

piter wrote:
salve sono Pietro e sono italiano, non sono mai andato in barca a vela ma sono sempre stato attratto dalla vela, e siccome , attraverso internet, adesso ho conosciuto i cat e ne voglio acquistare uno che nel primo momento sarà uno usato (h14 o similari) e poi tra un anno uno nuovo
e quello che volevo acquistare era proprio un "Wave" , il "Gatewey qui non viene venduto, ma vedendo il vs post credo che qui vendono modello più interessanti del Wave come il dragoon o h15
a me piacerebbe usare sul cat tutte le vele, come fiocco e gennacher o spinnacher(con esperienza)
quindi vi chiedo;
h14 è buono per iniziare?
per un cat nuovo quale mi consigliate?

ciao e grazie
Pietro

A little help from Google Translate:
Quote:
Hi I am Peter and I am Italian, I never went on a sailing boat but I was always attracted to sailing, and because, through the internet, now I knew the cat and I want to buy one the first time will be a used (or similar h14 ) and then a year a new
and was exactly what I wanted to buy a "Wave", the "Gatewey not sold here, but seeing vs post here I think they sell model more attractive of the Wave as the dragon or h15
I like to use the cat all the sails, and as a staple or gennacher spinnacher (experienced)
then I ask you;
h14 is good to start?
for a new cat as you advise?

hello and thanks
Peter

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You just need a 16 and a buddy who will help you sail it. No buddies around? Try being nicer to people! haha just kidding! But seriously, I sailed my 16 solo all the time and it was great fun when the breeze was up, but it made me antisocial. Now I'd rather wait a week to take the Tiger out, and when a friend comes along for the fun, it tends to be even more fun. Just what's on my mind...

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

te = ""] Tallguy1 Hai solo bisogno di un 16 e un amico che ti aiuterà a navigare. No amici in giro? Cercate di essere più bello di persone! haha solo scherzando ! Ma seriamente, ho navigato miei 16 solo per tutto il tempo ed è stato molto divertente quando la brezza era finito, ma mi ha fatto antisociale. Ora io preferisco aspettare una settimana per togliere il Tiger, e quando un amico arriva per il divertimento, tende ad essere ancora più divertente . Proprio quello che è sulla mia mente ...[/ quote]

non ho amici con cui navigare
l'hobby 16 può essere usato da solo?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, what I said sounds so much more romantic in Italian... Or something...

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote = " markbriggs1 "] Dang ! Sembra che ci sia l'imbarazzo della scelta su questo sito: http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/index.php?produits , hobie_twixxy

Ciò che dà , ho pensato che siamo stati la terra della libertà ? La libertà di una scelta più piace a coniare una frase da Devo.

Che cosa succede? Hobie è stato inventato negli Stati Uniti. Ora l' euro sono dependance / ci di progettazione ?

L'ho detto prima - la gente di 300 mm e non possiamo raccogliere la domanda ? Sheesh . Said giorno per l'America.

Hobie . Guida. [/ quote]

in Europa, voi cosa comprate?
Twixxy, Wave o H15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next