Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey i got a wave here in florida and went out a week ago in some pretty strong 25kt wind, which (i'm on a lake) is much stronger than what i usually get. i was hiking when i felt the friction coming at the bow, and didn't know how to react, and flop forward I went.

what's the best way to prevent it? thanks!

Post subject: Pitch pole
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:21 am 
Site Admin

The Wave is a BLAST when it gets windy!

The Wave has short bows and a full main sail. As you sheet out, the main gets more power up high and this can add to the pitch pole potential.

Rake the mast aft as far as it will go.

Sit aft... under the tiller arm when possible.

Brace yourself under the hiking strap. If the bow dips under, sheet out, round up and try to stay in position.

When all else fails... add the new main traveler kit (fits the Club version). Being able to travel out and still sheet hard will help keep the bows higher and allow top speeds.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

first of all, thanks for the advice. i've never had any formal instruction, so some of the terminology is foreign to me. what do you mean by "rake the mast aft?"

basically, if the bow starts digging, i should sheet out and steer into the wind, so give the main sail more luff? one time i tried that and it seemed like i would just tip over side-ways instead of pitchpole.

how high can the wave go on one hull before tipping over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's easy :shock: "all the way" :D

Post subject: Rake?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Mast rake is the angle of the mast. Rake aft would be longer forestay and shorter adjusted shrouds. The furthest back you can go is when the mainsheet system can no longer tension the sail. The mast and sail aft raises the bows.

When "flying a hull" you can nearly balance the Wave on the side of the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the help guys.

i went out a few days ago and set the forestay on the last pin. the mast angle didn't go back too much, but every little bit helps i guess.

one thing is bothering me though, and that is sheeting out. the thing is my traveller car has one of those things that stops the sheet line, which is convenient for low-wind sailing that doesn't demand rapid changes. is there any way i can disable that so i can sheet out easily in a situation as pressing as a pitchpole? i have to thrash the sheet a couple of times to get it out of the notch, and only then can i sheet out.

thanks guys your advice is appreciated. i also reserved a copy at a local barnes&noble of "catamaran sailing: from start to finish" by phil berman. i'm going to california for a week (sister is graduating from santa clara university) so i'm looking forward to reading that in my free time.

Post subject: Cleat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

You are refering to the cleat that holds the main sheet. You should be able to change the angle of the cleat to make it easier in different conditions.

You can also work on the technique for getting it un-cleated. Keep the line somewhat tight, lift and then snap down the sheet while moving your hand a little closer (slack) to the cleat. Just about 6" closer as you snap the line down sends a wave down the line. When it hits the cleat the momentum of the line pulls the line out of the jaws. Too big a wave and the line hits the tramp, which stops the wave from reaching the cleat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)