Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm working on my Wave to turn it into a race boat. What I really want is help on deciding how much additional rake to put into the rudders. The sail will have maximum rake. One of the bridle wires came damaged so I'm going to make some new ones. At the same time I will make a new forestay that is long enough that the it will be as long as a stock forestay with the ten hole adjuster so I can use the seven hole and avoid buying a new one. So maximum rake on the mast. Maybe even more 'cause I have the Harken mainsheet setup. So here's the question, as a first cut, I know I have to go sail the boat but it's coming on winter and it's time to work not a time to sail, how much forward should I move the hole for the bolt in the lower rudder casting? The other stuff I can figure out on my own. From past experience I figure about 1/4". Anybody got a measurement? I have the Hobie drill template but I figure with max rake I should push the blade further forward.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BigWhoop wrote:
I will make a new forestay that is long enough that the it will be as long as a stock forestay with the ten hole adjuster so I can use the seven hole and avoid buying a new one. So maximum rake on the mast. .

Conventional wisdom says you should keep all your wires the standard length. The time will come that one of them breaks at a regatta and there will be lots of standard spares around, but unless you have non-standard spares, you are out of luck. We have been breaking a lot of wires recently...even some that are less than a year old. Two Waves last weekend. Perhaps it is offshore wire...who knows.

At any rate, you will always want the capability to adjust, such as when you try a different sail...they aren't all the same. Pop for the 10-holer.

What kind of rudder housings do you have? I wouldn't drill until you get your mast rake set where you want it.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)