Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I have only been sailing a few months but am quickly becoming addicted to it.
I have an Adventure Island and also sail on a friends Hobie 16.
I have a few questions about the Wave and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me.

First, I would be keeping the Wave directly on the beach in South Florida with the mast raised but the sail removed. Could it take this exposure? There are many Hobie 16's and 18's on the same beach all year but I know they are made of fiberglass.

I will mostly be sailing alone or with one buddy but will also be sailing with my wife and two tween daughters at times. Can the wave sail with 4 people?

With my family I would probably never be out in more than 10mph winds and a foot or 2 of chop but could we sail in a bit more weather if we choose? What is the limit, if there is one?

My Hobie 16 friends tell me that I will regret not getting a 16 but I really like alot of the Waves features and hope it is the right choice. I am not interested in racing, flying, etc... I just love being out for a nice sail (and maybe rigging up a rod holder for a little trolling because fishing is my first love on the water).

Thanks so much for any insight at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for it! It sounds like the Wave is the perfect boat for you.

Even though I'm in Indy, I was first introduced to Waves in Florida, at a condo/resort near St. Pete. Those Waves have been kept on the beach uncovered for years, and endured a lot of abuse over the years, and they're still in great shape. That's why so many resorts have "standardized" on them.

Two adults with two kids is no problem for a Wave. The only thing you'll notice is that it slows down a bit with additional weight. But when I'm in Florida and the winds are decent, I often take folks out for rides, and four adults makes for a nice leisurely sail.

Waves are great in stronger winds, and more forgiving than most boats. Others can give better comparisons to a Hobie 16 than I can, but you'll be able to control a Wave when other boats are fighting for survival. And with the simplicity of a Wave, you should easily be able to drag a fishing line as you go.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Last edited by IndyWave on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds great.

Do you know if there is are "Beach wheels" I can buy for the Wave to get it down to the to the water and back up on the beach?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you tell me where in south Florida you live? Maybe you can come crew on my Wave and it will help you make your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Choctaw60
I am in Boca Raton but would go anywhere in S. Florida
To sail on your Wave. That would be great!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there,

Seitech makes an aluminum beach dolly for the Wave. I know in Canada those sell for $799 Canadian dollar, so should be cheaper in the US. The Wave is a great beachable boat and very durable.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I throw on a small tarp that acts as a sun shade. Just bungie it down at the four corners. I think it protects the lines. Others just let the tramp be in the sun. by the way a Wave can and does fly a hull with out problem. And in a light wind will beat a 16 (by handicappe) in a regatta. just ask the 16 captians from the lake poinsett regatta, in south dakota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ocean,

Did you ever purchase a Wave? I live in Wellington Fl;, just north of you and have one for sale, comes with Cat Trax. You can see the listing on craigs list:

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2525184857.html

Charlie