Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Down here in Florida we have a tropical storm that will brush the coast on Friday through Sunday.

I have a new Hero camera and head mount. So guess what.

Let's see what I bring back, if I can get it in the water!

I have been wondering if you could stress the comptip to the point of breaking.

I'll take some bags of cement out with me.

LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was sailing today in Charleston, SC. Wind in the morning was around 20, waves about 5-8 feet. It was pretty rough and I have to say the Wave performed like a champ. The front kept getting buried in the waves, no pitchpole. From my days on a H16, I know it would have pitchpoled under similar conditions. When launching through the surf, I had a bunch of speed up and got hit by a wave, it buried the bows and brought the boat to stop so quick, I slid from the back of the tramp and almost went off the front. Anyway, the boat is durable and handles great in rough conditions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update. Today sailing in heavy breeze 15-20, in Charleston, the shackle holding the fore stay and side stays on the upper art of the mast, ripped open and the mast came down on me. Very fortunate I was close to shore. I was able to pull the mast on board and let the waves push in in to shore. The shackle landed on the tramp and I still have it. It was not a case of the pin coming loose, the shackle was pulled apart. Just a warning to others. I have not heard of this happening. I was able to get a replacement shackle from local dealer, it is for a H16 and is noticeably stronger. My side stays probably could have been a little tighter and I am sure that put tension on it, but it should have held. I now have the side stays as tight as they will go (5th hole down from the top) and the fore stay is in the top hole. Just a FYI to others.