Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was hoping that someone would be so kind to help me with identifying some quick-release pins for the sidestays and forestay of the Wave. I want to replace the existing pins with quick release pins as I am tired of the clevis pins, especially when I am rigging the boat alone. I also want to get quicker at getting on and off the water.

I do not have a sailboat shop within a 2-hour drive so I need to order the parts via the phone (most likely through a Hobie dealer in Dallas). I just was hoping someone could help me with what size pins I need and perhaps even a Hobie part number.

Thanks for the help. It will save me from trying to find the correct pins without being able to look at it.

Bob
College Station, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:02 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Mariner Sails Wind & Water Sports
Dallas, TX
800-536-WIND
www.mariner-sails.com

Give Brian a call he will be able to walk you thru what you need! If you can't get a hold of him let me know and I get the numbers together for you to make your ordering easy from them!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys,

But I'd rather not sell fast pins for use in standing rigging. I'm kind of a firm believer in not tempting Murphy. An accidental release in a fast pin while sail would be ugly. And while the rig pressure on the Wave is relatively low, there's still a chance that you'd bend a fast pin over time. If that happens, you'd have to cut it off. Trust me - it's a huge PITA.

The only place in standing rigging that I recommend using a fast pin is the forestay on a 16. That wire is only under load while setting up. Once the jib is up, the pin is no longer holding the mast up.

But if you really, really have to have them, they're 1/4" x 3/4". The part number in my system is AVB 4R075 and you can find them in the Misc Accessories department under Hobie Cats. I think the equivalent Hobie part number is 20312 (for the ring head fast pin).

And just a head's up. If you call the shop on Monday, you'll have to talk to someone else. Monday is my day off. 8)

Where's my coffee? :wink:

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Better idea:

Get some toggle pins with lanyard of the same size. They are faster than clevis pins, and a whole lot safer than the ball-lock pins. Plus, the lanyard means you can't lose them!

Anyone have a picture?

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all;

Perhaps I do not want the quick release pins with the ball bearing on one end. However, I have already demasted with the Wave due to someone messing with a shackle. It really was not a big deal (that mast weighs nothing compared to my Nacra F18).
That being said, can someone direct me to the toggle pins with lanyard as mentioned by TJP, or perhaps another useful alternative? I am not going to stay with the clevis pins but perhaps the ball bearing type is not a good idea either.

When it is 98F and high humidity, trying to open a clevis pin while holding the mast really blows.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tjp wrote:
Anyone have a picture?

Like this?

I'm not quickly finding one with a lanyard.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Dog wrote:
Like this?

I'm not quickly finding one with a lanyard.

Brian C

Yes! Exactly like that!

As for the lanyard,

*coughMurrayscough21-1153Lcough*.

Sorry, fighting a cold. Hobie should really start carrying one with lanyard - makes it harder to lose. It's possible that West Marine also carries one with a lanyard, but I can't find any sort of quick-pins on their website.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey don't worry about it, tjp...

If I don't have what someone needs, I'll send them someplace that they can get it. I have (coughcough) the phone numbers of the West (cough) Marines (cough) in the Dallas area taped to my monitor. I have zero problem sending someone to a business with a storefront....

Internet only businesses are another story. :roll:

Brian C