Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Cover
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What do you recommend to use to cover your Wave when it's being stored on a trailer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a blue tarp (10' x 14') from K-mart. I use two bungee cords to hold it down on the boat. I leave the mast and sail on the trampoline before putting on the cover. Sometimes the rain does not collect on the cover, sometimes it does and then I need to drain it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a reply/suggestion to my own question --

Now that I have shopped around abd bought a cover, I thought I would share my experience and ideas. I found and bought a tarp at Lowes for about $60. It is one of those ultrathick tarps with a supposedly very high UV protection factor. It is gray/silver on one side (this side is supposed to offer the most reflection and thus should be outward to reflect the sun). I leave my mast on the mast stand, so I needed a larger size tarp in order to be able to completely cover the entire mast and boat. Plus I wanted to keep the tires/wheels on my trailer out of sunlight in order to lengthen their life. I think mine is a 20'x30' tarp. It's too big, but, again, I wanted everything totally covered.

So, for about $60 (or less), this is a good idea. Not the prettiest solution, especially if you keep the boat at home outside. But, it should keep the boat out of the elements pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I actually bought the boat cover that appears in the Hobie Catalog for the Wave. It is more expensive at $170. But it fits the boat well and it fastens well. I have the Cat dry docked (on trailer) at a Metro Park so I like to keep it covered when not in use.

I just bought the cover about a month ago and have been very pleased with the quality and fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks for the reminder, i think i have one of those covers in my cat box, but never really opended it up..i leave my cat on the beach rigged, so getting some protection on there would be great