Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New owner, Hobie Wave 2003 this weekend. Boat appears in great shape and the sails look and feel almost new. She has a spinnaker add on that I have since removed as I am not familiar (yet) with running with one.
While cleaning her up this weekend I noticed the rudders did not seem to lock down and with a little pressure on the rudders, they would kick up to a 45 degree angle. Is this normal? The previous owner told me not to worry that once you drop her in the water, the rudders will lock down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, the starboard blue pad on the pontoon has unglued, besides contact cement, any advice for attaching. Lastly, any thing I can learn from this forum would be greatly appreciated so if you have any advice for me, I would love to hear what you suggest or advise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

My guess is that you have the original aluminum rudder castings? Those use a black plastic cam to rotate over a spring loaded plunger... to lock the rudders down. I'd further guess that the cams are in the locked position which prohibits the system from functioning. You need to "open" the cams first.

Take a look at the cams FAQ here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=467

Quote:
...If the cam sticks in the down position there are several methods to get it to rotate release. From above and forward of the assembly, lift the upper arm and rotate it aft and out of the way. Loop a line around the cam yank the line to pop the cam open. You can also use the tiller arm to assist this technique by wrapping the line around the cam, then lowering the tiller arm and wrapping the line a few times around the tiller arm. Pull up on the tiller arm which (through the line) levers the cam open. There are several tools that can also be used. I use a large blade screwdriver that can be inserted into the side of the cam to leverage it open. There is also a tool (Hobie Part # 83103 / 2003 Catalog page forty eight) that has a small hook that can be used (by drilling a small hole in the cam to allow it to be inserted) for leverage. You can also use a small flat blade screw driver to work between the cam and plunger... force the plunger down to unlock the cam. I find that this works very well even if the cams are dry and un-lubricated.

If the cam is really stuck down, the only tool needed is a small blade screwdriver. You work the blade between the cam and plunger to force the plunger down and release the cam... More.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

and to answer your second question ... there are ports under the pads that are glued and screwed in place. After a while, Hobie hasn't made the aluminum casting rudder system for Waves for seven years, the glue dries out and the port will leak. Since the port is in a sort of a divot in the boat is will leak in the rain. What I did was use a large metal spatula to peel back the pad, remove the screws, remove the dried glue, reseal with silicone, and replace the screws. Be careful putting them back and don't drop them down inside the hull. The hole is too small to get your hand in to fetch them back and they're stainless so a magnet won't work. Reglue the pads with contact cement. Use it like it says on the can. There's a video on Youtube of a guy reglueing a pad and he just puts on the glue and presses it down. Contact cement wants to skim before you try and press it back down.

Have a Hobie day!

PS I used a lump of plasticine on the end of a stick to get my dropped screw back. You will, of course, be more careful than I was. Most people are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great advice.
It appears the cams are frozen. Will not budge. Any more force will surely break them off. Has anyone removed and replaced the cams? How difficult. It's a 2003 so is this just a matter of push it thought the cam or is there a special tool. Noticed on the replacement kits there is a sister to sister screw but not sure what the original is and I can't tell if there is even a slot in the head of the pin that holds the cam. How does the spring stay in under the cam? Or is it going to go flying one I remove the cam?
Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, you've got two problems, it's just that you haven't gotten to the second one, yet. In a perfect world now is the time to back out the tension screw, the large (3/4") delrin or nylon screw that goes up into the rudder casting. I'm guessing that yours well be corroded in solid and will have to be drilled out, the scrap removed from the threads, and replaced. There's a screw and a plunger above them. Don't damage the castings. The screws are cheap the castings are valuable.

If you can get the adjuster out, and even if you can't, the cam is held in with a rivet from the factory. Drill the head off one side, very carefully, don't damage the casting, and drive out the rivet. Lube everything up with water resistant grease and put the new cam in with the sister screws. It's possible to do this with pressure on the plunger, but I like to make sure all my bits are working and adjustable. That's just me. My tension screw is set flush with the casting one one side and 1/8" proud on the other side. Dunno why. I guess I liked it that way when I set them.

Assuming you have adjustable tension screws and keep them lubed (once a year should be enough) and sister screws, next time you want to take these apart to replace a cam or whatever it will be a piece of cake.

Have a Hobie day!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Get a blade screw driver (as noted in the FAQ) and wedge between the cam and the plunger. Work the blade in between and depress the plunger to get the cams open. Never seen one so stuck that it didn't work. You can also pre-lube with a penetrating oil.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The bladed screwdriver worked as you said Matt. Being new to the Hobie Wave family, had no idea there was a plunder underneath. Saw a YouTube video on cam replacement and saw the cam go flying in the air as it was being replaced. So blew out the sand and starting working the screwdriver in and son of a gun, was out for the maiden voyage the day after Thanksgiving here in Atlanta, GA. What a BLAST. Matt, thanks for all your advice on this forum, it is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just Rebuild my Whole Rudder system about a year ago....I bit the bullet and of course I had to Drill everything out....But now it works Flawless. Even added some Black carbon rudders :D :D