Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New Wave owner here. Picked up a used Wave this fall and can't wait for next summer to come around. The boat is about 10 years old but seems to be all there and in good shape. Anything obvious I should know?

I fell in love with the cat sailing on my cousins GetAway last summer. The Wave fit my price point and desires better. The only thing it lacks is some more storage space.

Now the main question, has anyone had luck putting in some netting up front between the pontoons? The GetAway has a strong netting up front that is perfect for holding our clamming buckets and rakes. I am sure I can rig something up this winter, but figured it would be best to see if anyone has tried this yet.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great to have you among us Wave enthusaists.

But first; they are NOT pontoons. They are hulls.

Second, you just don't need to add more capacity on this boat. The deck is large enough to handle all you wil ever put on her.

I'm just sayin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also new wave owner here, I have a similar issue. I pretty much tie everything to the mast. Havnt figured out a neat and tidy way to haul stuff yet. I have the SE tramp so bit restricted on how I can tie stuff down.
I was thinking of using a car type cargo net across the front part of the tramp ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends on what you carry, but on my Bravo, I took an 18 inch (or so) piece of rope, tied one end to the front section of my hiking straps and left the other end free. When I take my croc sandals, and a dry bag along, I just loop the free end of the rope through everything and tie a slip knot on them. That keeps everything with the boat, and on the top side. If you take more, you could try two ropes. The front end of the hiking strap seems to work for me, but there's no magic to it. I'm sure you could find a suitable place on the Wave as there are probably more places to tie things down on that boat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to own a Getaway for a few years and loved the extra storage the front netting provided (or for throwing a few kids up there to get them out of the way). I sold it because 99% of the time I would sail solo and couldn't right it by myself. I now have a wave which I love just a much, and often wished it too had a front net. The problems I could imagine would be if you stored anything heavy up front with the wave, it would most likely upset the balance of the boat since the hulls are much smaller. Also the Wave sits much lower in the water than the Getaway, so everything forward of the mast would be constantly smacking waves and swells which would slow you down.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good feedback.

I did make some moves toward the front net project.

I ordered some netting from Gourock. Nice folks to deal with:

TNSF15112 3/4in diamond cut #15 nylon netting. 7ft x 4ft (28 sq ft). @ $.50/sq ft.

I'll figure out how much I need to trim to get the net size and sag right for the Wave. Then I'll take paracord and weave it around the perimeter of the net, and tie in little carabiners (or something) to the corners of the net where it will connect to the boat.

On my Wave I will attach it to the underside of the front cross member where the righting line attaches, and to the points where the front mast stabilizing line attaches to each hull. This should pretty much extend it across the whole front of the boat between the pontoons. It's about 6ft x 3ft. should be plenty of storage.

I'd like to use the carabiners at the attachment points so that I can take it on and off quickly. I probably won't need it most of the time but on occasion we go out and haul a lot of shellfish. It's nice to have a place to keep them that doesn't get in the way of sailing.

If you have any ideas or concerns about this plan please speak up.