Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave on trailer pics?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody got some pics of a wave loaded on a trailer? I just bought one on a trailer but it is in a dry dock storage area and I am not exactly sure how to lay the mast on the front support and how where at the stern of the boat to secure the mast tip? I am thinking I will need to wrap the mast with a life jacket and bungee to the rear crossbar?

What about securing the hulls to the trailer to prevent fore aft movement on the trailer? It came with two straps going over the hulls fore and aft. Is that enought for highway travel?

Any other trailer tips are welcome. We sailed it last night and it was great!

Thanks for the help!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, I can't help with trailer info but I'm curious to know if you bought the Wave that was listed at Big Creek?

Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, I see I should have looked at your other post first, congrats on your purchase.

I've posted a question about a Wave that's not getting a reply, "Wave tramp dimensions?". I need to know the dimensions of a Wave tramp. I'm trying to build a trailer that can fit either a Bravo or a Wave. I have a Bravo and plan someday to get a Wave. It would be great if the trailer fit both. Will you please reply to my post?

Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Eric,

Ya, I did get that one, looked at it Saturday, met the guy Sunday, paid him and went sailing!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll try to get you some pics RVJim...I basically ordered the Hobie Wave mast support for the rear Cross bar and added some more carpet to it....its the best setup so far I've used...the trailer has a front raised support for the front of the mast and I wrapped it with some bicycle tire inter tubes that protect the mast and keeps it from slipping...I trailer with my mast in one piece. For the hulls, I use 4 short straps on the inside on the hull by each crossbar and put a piece of wood carpeted wedge on the inside of each Rear keel on the trailer, to keep the boat from twisting on the trailer.

I can run 80 to 85 mph and hit bumps and all and it doesn't move a bit. I'll get some pics tomorrow......
Mark Milam
Louisiana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are the Pics
The first pic shows a rope around the mast ball, leading back to trailer, once you have the boat set where you want it, this rope can be Fixed to trailer. This keeps boat from inching forward....to release it, I undo the back straps (which are at a angle that pulls the boat forward on trailer) and slide the boat back a few inches to remove rope.

Also, you can see the little Carpeted covered wood Chock I used in the back of boat to keep it from sliding sideways in the rear. I tried straps that went over the Whole boat, but the boat would still move around and the straps had to be so tight it would deform the hull some. ...This set up is Really good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mt,

Thanks a lot, the pics really help clear up a few things for me! The plastic mast cradle is the hobie product?

Do you have the mast split or left in one piece? I hauled mine from the dry storage at big creek down to cherry glen today, and then home, only a total of about 20 miles.

I had never stepped the mast on it so I backed up to some grass, unloaded the boat, and put the mast down on the deck Nd split it. I then wrapped it fore and aft and tied to the trailer. I understand what you mean about deforming the hulls.

I will have to look and see if there are hook eyes u Nader the cross bars as it appears on the rear of yours, that looks like it works good.

Out to the drive to check...

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, the mast cradle is a hobie product, sort of expensive, but man, it works good...I untie the mast from the front mast support and just Slide the mast all the way back to the ball...the rear Hobie mast cradle makes that easy to do.

I also leave the boat on the trailer to step the mast, I just remove the bungee that holds the shrouds to the front mast support. Shrouds stay connected to the boat and mast. When the mast is lying on the boat, but hooked to the Ball I have a short piece of rope that I runs from my bridle (10 hole adjuster) to the front shroud, . I then Climb on the tramp (215 lbs) and raise the mast.....the forestay and bridle are already attached with the rope, so I don't have to reach down and grab it.....I then Pin the forestay to the top hole on the 10 hole adjuster and remove the short piece of rope....Mast is up...then I unhook my two front hull straps and slide the boat off the trailer.

I have a pad eye on the bottom of the Front crossbar on each side, thats where I hook the hold down straps to .....the Rear cross bar doesn't have them, so I just used a rope around the crossbar, works just as good.

Mark Milam
Lafayette, La.