Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To all us Sailors with more opinions than places to sail.

Ryan mentioned that he has access to a medium sized lake.

Good Lord that could entail anything from Florida to the most remote areas of Alaska. A lot of people need to travel large distances simply for a good day's worth of sailing.

When I used to live near the Canadian Rockies, a medium sized lake up in the mountains could send a 'Chinook' roaring down a lake at noon and leave you becalmed by 5 pm...(bin dar, dun dat)

Other people have issues because they can afford a sailboat but their own home may be out of reach. (I've gotten to know a few people in Australia in that position, by their own choice for their absolute passion for the wind).

I for one live 35 feet away from the North Pacific but I have a very steep beach to deal with to get to the water even at high tide. That is why I'm buying either the Wave or a SmartKat because of the weight factor as a single person with a bad back.

Before anyone swears on their children's future on the exact right boat for Ryan to purchase, maybe a few more questions about his location and his own particular set of circumstances might be in order?

But what the hell do I know, I'll find a way to go sailing until they pry my stiff dead fingers off my tiller.

No disrespect intended to anyone.
I'm just trying to wear another man's set of sailing boots other than my own.

Stiff Breezes
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't remember the last time I posted on any of the Hobie Forums, but here goes...

I'm with augaug when it comes to time on the water. I've owned two H-18s and loved both, but setup and take-down do take time. Unfortunately, most of my friends are not sailors (those who are have their own boats), so bringing non-sailors to the lake only to have them complain while attempting to help with setup/take down just takes away from the experience for them and me. While I did learn to rig the 18 on my own and can solo an 18, I do think there's a lot to be said for quick setup boats.

I don't own a Wave yet, but I hope to some day. I got hooked when I was in Antigua and was able to use resort boats every day whenever I felt like it.

Yes, a 16 or 18 would be a hell of a lot faster. I have had some pretty fast rides on a Wave, but the get-up & go is nothing like an 18 with a genoa. Then again, with the big winds we get here in tornado alley, a Wave should give a good ride too.

Personally, I'd prefer not to experience pitchpoling. I've capsized and turtled several times in my 18s, and while I've never been injured, the real pain is in righting an 18.

To my knowledge, our local fleet doesn't have any Wave racing, so if racing is important to you, you need to consider what options are available locally. For me, happiness is just being out there and going at my own pace with as few hassles as possible.

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for used Waves. It's tougher to find good deals on them than the others (I got both of my 18s with all the gear & trailers for $1400-$1600 each).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a0187885 wrote:
I can't remember the last time I posted on any of the Hobie Forums, but here goes...

I'm with augaug when it comes to time on the water. I've owned two H-18s and loved both, but setup and take-down do take time. Unfortunately, most of my friends are not sailors (those who are have their own boats), so bringing non-sailors to the lake only to have them complain while attempting to help with setup/take down just takes away from the experience for them and me. While I did learn to rig the 18 on my own and can solo an 18, I do think there's a lot to be said for quick setup boats.

I don't own a Wave yet, but I hope to some day. I got hooked when I was in Antigua and was able to use resort boats every day whenever I felt like it.

Yes, a 16 or 18 would be a hell of a lot faster. I have had some pretty fast rides on a Wave, but the get-up & go is nothing like an 18 with a genoa. Then again, with the big winds we get here in tornado alley, a Wave should give a good ride too.

Personally, I'd prefer not to experience pitchpoling. I've capsized and turtled several times in my 18s, and while I've never been injured, the real pain is in righting an 18.

To my knowledge, our local fleet doesn't have any Wave racing, so if racing is important to you, you need to consider what options are available locally. For me, happiness is just being out there and going at my own pace with as few hassles as possible.

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for used Waves. It's tougher to find good deals on them than the others (I got both of my 18s with all the gear & trailers for $1400-$1600 each).

Very solid words, fellow sailor, and highly respected.
(Wow, good deals on your gear, but the Economy in the US and Canada differs).
I got a 2 week late phone call today from the Grabner North America Rep for their line of Inflatable Cats. (I've never heard such a line of nonsense from a fast talking salesman): I quote: 'All that North Americans want is to use fuel to go as fast as they can in a power boat"....wtf, did this 'Sales Rep' have an idea of who he was talking to? Obviously not as the price of their inflatables is sky high. I almost had to hang up on him as we, who aren't fuel guzzling monsters and have spent most of their rec time sailing, don't need this idiotic self serving bullsheit.
The Wave is cool as most of anything that Hobie has put together.
M8, in all honesty, I would almost sell my Mother's soul if I could find a 'gently used' Tri-Foiler at any price.
However, that would be like asking for a slightly used Space Shuttle that has only been blasted off on Sundays by a Little Old Lady from Pasadena, looking for a bit of religion.
Cheers
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trinomite wrote:
a0187885 wrote:
I've owned two H-18s and loved both, but setup and take-down do take time. Unfortunately, most of my friends are not sailors (those who are have their own boats), so bringing non-sailors to the lake only to have them complain while attempting to help with setup/take down just takes away from the experience for them and me. .

Hi again a0187885
Even smaller boats have set up/take down time.
I feel for you as even though I've never sailed an 18, the complexity based on size and performance of the vessel seems to multiple on those factors. Those facts seems to get in the way of the inexperienced when they look for a day of 'Fun' without having to work for it.
Considering that fact, it's not odd, why a lot of Resorts offer the least amount of effort and experience to get their clients to be able to say that they 'learned to sail' in Cancun, Jamaica, Bahamas, Cuba, Cabo, etc. while all the set up, take down is done by poorly paid staff who couldn't care less about teaching anything to a tourist other than collecting 'Teeeps', instead of sharing their own tips on how to sail.
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a0187885 wrote:
... so bringing non-sailors to the lake only to have them complain while attempting to help with setup/take down just takes away from the experience for them and me. .

a0187885
Even though I have sailed lakes in Alberta, BC, Canada, and Arizona, may I mention that the Ocean has it's own set of rules...
(ie: Tides, currents, and opposing winds to a running tidal current, plus some serious hydro venturis when millions of gallons of salt water try to squeeze through a constricted set of islands in less than 8 hours).
It's at that certain point in any sailor's life when one leaves sport boats behind and moves onto keel boats with a powerful diesel to get past those restrictions to insure life and safety for crew and vessel. Another solution if that is your home territory is a deep Vee planing hull with at least a 250 hp Inboard/Outboard and skip around the whirlpools and play with the back eddies to gain forward motion without losing planing speed.
I'm lucky that now the area that is my home 'Wave' territory is 80 miles south of where I used to sail /power boated, but having travelled those severe areas, it rarely ever leaves one's mind.
Lakes sound great, if I didn't have to travel to the North Region of Vancouver Island to get there...and deal with all the bitching about: "Are we there yet??")...btw: I have no children...(I think)
Tri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tri - I'm with you in terms of blue water sailing. I'm in the Dallas area so we sail mostly on small man-made lakes. As far as my interests go, I see no real reason to own a big sailboat in this area unless you are looking for a party barge. We do have a large lake on the Texas-Oklahoma border that is good if you have a cruiser, but the smaller lakes are so much closer and more convenient for me. Lake Lewisville in particular, while not the prettiest lake, often has great winds that blow in from the southwest.