Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm on a run, and no I'm not spamming this forum.

I know that a lot of people here have simply more interests than their Wave.
Does anyone here kiteboard?
If you do, have you considered removing your mast and simply fly your inflatable kite off 'snatch blocks' attached to your Wave?

If so, let's share some ideas...

Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guilty as charged. And yes - same thoughts. Came mighty close to picking up a Seaspray this spring for just this purpose. I've since bought into a Getaway with another kiter/sailor friend of mine but have access to 2 club Waves to use. Best I've seen is something akin to attaching the chickenloop line to the mast step location and then rig up a piggy backed bar to the rear of the tramp so you can sheet & steer the kite and mind the tiller.

I suspect if I ever gave it a whirl I'd also rig a remote safety release to the chickenloop safety so as not to put the boat in peril.

The only advanced rigging I've heard of is running the attachment on the front (main) crossbar on a traveller.

Ultimate solution would be to add fixed seating and foot operated tiller. Would probably be pretty easy to do for a sailor turned kiteboarder because they'd probably have all kinds of blocks and pulleys kinda like I have all kinds of bars and linesets etc.

Google "Kitecat" and you'll find hours of YouTube footage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Way Cool
I assume you're talking about a very large kite.
We both know it takes quite a bit of torque to get a boarder off the water on a plane.
Consider a smaller kite as you don't need the power charge to get the Cat moving.
A snatch block allows you to 'clip' a line into the block, and undo it when needed. (Edited)
Yup I've seen the vids.
I use a number of power kites (non inflatable) other than the HQ Hydra 3.5 which is self inflating and water re-launchable. It has the usual twin lines on a bar but it also saves all the headaches with the extra stuff.
If you find a way to (quick release) to attach your harness into the tramp and a bud is steering, you might be surprised of how little wind it takes to get this little cat moving.

As a note of interest, the Hydra 3.5 is so popular that the only place I could find it was in central Alberta...go figger?

Best Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://project.kiteboat.com/page/whykites#

scroll down a bit...yes please!!! I want one!
I think a way to launch and unreel/reel back in your kite lines is essential.

Make sure to watch the maui vid http://project.kiteboat.com/video :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Hobiesrock
Thanks for those URLs. Looks interesting.
I'm sure you've heard of Peter Lynn. I've been watching his work for years.
This product of his might interest you greatly:

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/peter-lynn ... at-cat.htm

Not cheap, but it's the only production Kite Cat that I know of.
Tri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Hobiesrock
I assume that you have found a way to use your twin hulls to launch a kite.
I can only add to my previous post to have you look at what has been accomplished by previous Masters of the Game.
Peter Lynn was the dude that started the Kite buggy revolution by using small power kites on fat wheeled trikes. (ie: You don't need a monster to get you moving). Those same kites are also used for ski kiting.
If you look closely at what Mr Lynn accomplished was to use the Laws of Physics to get that job done. His Kite Cat needs refinement before it's accepted by the masses as a Sunday afternoon fun device, imho.
It seems in line with what Hobie has done in the same degree with their Cats and Sailyaks by using simple sailing principles for their entry level boats.
Winches are a pain in the butt to operate. However winches with pressure sensors on large kite powered vessels are also available in this age thus allowing a computer console to run the entire boat on Autopilot.
Trust me, it won't be long in this century before large freighters are run on this method as the precious fuel that they store will only be used for docking purposes.
Your links were fun to watch but seemed over complicated for doing a simple recreational job for something that was invented thousands of years ago in China:
Using the wind trapped into a bag to move you. :wink:
Bests
Tri

Last edited by Trinomite on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an HQ Hydra 350 Trainer kite. Would love to figure out a system some time that would allow launching from a seakayak or maybe even my Wave.
Its 2.7 sq meters if I remember right...about 10 foot span. Super fun to mess around with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hydra is a trainer kite at 3.5 meters.
Not something that you might want to use when the wind is low.
(some of my best and most nasty sailings were on Glenmore Dam in Calgary in the 70's when the Chinooks raced over the Rockies.)
It won't work on a dismasted Adventure Island as that requires the use of the left hand to steer (unless you can run your kite control bar with one hand). The Tandem Island without a mast allows you complete freedom to use the kite and have the crew steer on the stern (as long as you are tied down into your seat via your harness). The huge advantage of a Tri SailYak is stability. A Cat can only get real speed if the wetted surface area is reduced. (Unless you have a death wish, being tied into the tramp of Cat while power stroking a kite, while it is up on a single hull is truly for the insane. (However, your experience may differ...)
Remember, YOU run the boat not the helmsman. You need to do that as you weave your kite patterns!
Getting yanked out of your seat is a real possibility depending on the wind strength and the size of your kite.
Using a Wave or a Getaway has possibilities but it will need further research due to lack of obvious connections for the Kite Master and the crew.
Peter Lynn uses a foot pedal system to steer on his Kite Cat. Notice also the very curved bows to prevent a pitchpole. That should not be an issue as the Kite usually provides lift unless the Kite is way overpowered on a Down stroke.
Let me know if you have a Wave Club version or the old version. This makes a huge difference as all those lacing points can be used as a harness tie down system for you, (and a quick release in case you dump the boat). However, you'll still need a helmsman to steer you unless you can invent a foot steering system for the Wave.

Please let me know how it's working out for you M8.
Tri

Last edited by Trinomite on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya the hydra needs a bit of wind...10+ or its a pita to get launched due to the small intakes that makes it water relaunch-able.
Have not tried it out yet on anything but the nearby rc flying field.
Had it out with me kayaking a few times...but without a way to unreel the lines from the boat I have not been able to find a decent launch and jump in the boat zone. Too many trees here in oregon! :shock:
You can control the bar ok with one hand...tho if its honking your control arm will prolly end up a few inches longer than your other arm. My kayak has no rudder but I figured it would be at least good for a laugh and maybe a smoking down winder if you can keep the boat heading down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobiesrock

Are you wearing a seat harness with a spreader bar to take the load off?
That would certainly be easier (and far less painful) than ending up with asymmetrical arms. There is also the 3rd line to allow an upside down launch which will require 2 hands.
You could also consider attaching a secondary Spreader Bar directly to the boat.
(Edited) I know this is a trainer kite but it can develop some serious pull, enough to 'body drag' you through the water. As that is the case, it can certainly move a TriYak or a Wave (once the flying and steering control mechanics are worked out).

Just some thought, friend.
Bests
Tri