Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings! Been dreaming of sailing for a long time now, took some sailing lessons in Portsmouth NH while On temporary duty with the Air National Guard about 10 years ago, and loved it-unfortunately, family had zero interest in it though....until we rented a Wave at Pensacola Beach last week. They're seeing the light now! Thinking the wave, for a lot of the same reasons you have, mainly I want something easy to rig, and singlehand, tough, and still fun without the constant nightmare of Mai tenancy that is most boats.

We currently do a lot of kayaking, and camping-tow the travel trailer behind our Ram 1500, with a bed rack to put the Yaks up top above the bed. Wondering though, how we can do a Wave, and still tow the camper? Is the mast one piece? Is it easy enough to take the boat apart to transport on the roof/bed rack? Don't really want to double tow, just too many problems with that.

I expect I'll get a boat trailer to keep it on for local use, but optimally, would be able to take it with us when we go camping, either at the lake, or the Gulf, we usually go to Pensacola or Padre Island once a year or so, any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two versions of the Wave, the standard and club. The standard version was created so you can disassemble it fairly quickly and even put it on car racks. The mast on both is two pieces. I'd bet you could get that to work. The club version has a traditional hobie style laced tramp and cannot break down as easily.

The wave is a great family boat. My Niece has the club version and it's a blast to sail and very easy to set up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard version can be broke down and tossed in a full size truck bed in about 20 mins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Perfect, that's the info I'm looking for. How does the trampoline differ, to make it easier to take down? Pics or video's showing the differences anywhere? Unfortunately there is no dealer nearby, to go take a look. I assume the one we played with in FL was a Club version, had a laced trampoline, laced on the sides and down the center.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard (classic) tramp uses a cable to tension the tramp from the sides. You use the main sheet system to tension/de-tension. You probably wont be getting as tight of a tramp as the club version but It has not bothered me. Once you take the tension off the tramp, the crossbars slide right out of the hulls and its in pieces.
Some pics in the manual here... http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... manual.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, appreciate it, I think that will work! In pieces, I think we can manage getting it up onto the truck rack, will just need to make sure the weight rating is ok for it, we transport 3 yaks at around 150# regularly, this will add another 100 lbs or so, but I think it will work. Might also just look at getting a toy hauler camper, and carry inside, we were considering a new camper anyway, and that may be the way to go long term. Appreciate the feedback!