Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just took my mast down today and it was heavy.

Put it on the trailer and herd water in it. Yuppie.

How do i remove it from the mast?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have never experienced this but I've read a few similar posts - for example: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55330&hilit=drain+mast

Many of the solutions suggested entail drilling a very small hole in the mast as a drain, then plugging it with a self tapping screw and some silicon or rubber. The location of the hole is usually towards the bottom of the mast, above any plugs that might be inside. I can't help you with how far up that would be on a Wave, but I bet someone will know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you store your boat mast up for the season? Did it rain? What happened to me (assumed, since I could not actually see this) was that the two piece mast creates a cup for water to collect in lower section above the foam plug and it crept in around the plug.

Pull the two mast pieces apart and look into the lower mast. About 6 inches in is a foam plug. The standing water and age can degrade that foam and allow water into the lower section. Heating and cooling cycles of summer weather can expand and contract the air in the lower mast volume, "pumping" the standing water through the aged foam. My lower mast was completely full of water, to the top! My foam plug was so bad the water poured out when I lowered the mast (dropped, since it weighed 100 pounds!).

The plug is readily available and cheap. If yours looks ugly you might just pry it out, pour out the water, and replace it. Or you could just drill a hole through the foam plug, drain the water, and then plug the drain hole with some silicone caulk.

I've heard of people putting a tire valve in the mast base and removing the Schrader valve core to drain the water. Seems silly. Some idiot would pump up the mast with air, swearing he sails faster with 80 psi on board....until the foam plug blows out, shooting his upper mast section 30 feet in the air. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I stand it up all summer.
So with sailing and rain oh did we have rain rain and rain.

Must of got in the mast.

I know the mast wasn't that heavy when I installed it. Then I hear the water.

So I will figure to drill a hole not sure how I will get a drill bit that long.

Oh boat is brand new first year.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

imfsub12 wrote:
...not sure how I will get a drill bit that long.

Not hard to get, for example...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1- ... /202256171

or plenty on Amazon if you need to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Called hobie today.

They told me to drill a hole just below where you put the sail in. Used a 3/16

And took almost 2 litres of water out.

Plus I need to reseal the top of the mast where the plug is. With marine silicone.. each year

It would be nice to have this in the instructions that they provide us with general or yearly maitiance...

Now to put boat away sailing is not good at my lake this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't stress how important to keep water out of the mast especially if your in northern climate and keep the boar rigged in winter (not recommended) but some knuckle heads will anyway. Water in the mast base will freeze, expand and crack your mast base. I have purchased 2 waves in the past with this particular problem. I was able to take $500 off the asking price when I pointed it out to the seller. I fortunately work in the Architectural metal business and have welders who are trained and incredibly talented when it comes to fixing aluminum. But many would have to replace the mast entirely.