Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi folks,
I've got a surprising amount of water in my Wave's lower mast since I last had it down. I was very surprised at the quantity as since then, it would only be rainwater. No immersions.

I'll need to fully immerse it to find the leak as it is not self draining in any position I put it in. Therefore, I may need to create a drain hole. I've searched but have seen conflicting reports on how far up from the bottom to drill. 1.5 inches to get by the base to over 1.5 feet to get by the lower foam plug.

Aside from finding where it leaks, as that may change things, let's assume I want to drill a hole as low as possible in the mast to let water drain out. Can someone tell me definitively how high I should be to to avoid the base and/or whatever else may be in the bottom of the mast? Wave is a 2013 (or maybe 2012) model. I forget which but I bought it new this spring.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same trouble.
I thought it was condensation from leaving the boat rigged and from heating and cooling the black mast.

My problem was fortuitously solved when I left the mask base in the hot sun in the driveway for a few hours.

I have not had the boat rigged at all this summer, so I have not given any thought to the drilling alternative.

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

The likely leak is at the upper end CompTip joint. The aluminum forms a cup that collects water. In areas that see freezing, this appears to fail the seal when water there freezes and expands.

Remove the CompTip. Reseal the plug with 3M 5200 or similar.

Don't leave the mast up in freezing conditions. Water trapped in the lower mast can expand and crack the extrusion.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt, Lee

I just purchased the boat brand new this spring, so it certainly hasn't been in freezing conditions yet. At least not in my possession. It will be stored horizontal indoors for the winter but good advice, all the same.

Sorry if I'm not getting the obvious but....
What is the best way to drain the lower mast. The comptip has been removed but the top of the lower mast is sealed and not draining from here when inverted.

Note, in case my terms are wrong here, my usage of "comptip" is the upper, non-conductive half of the mast. The lower half of the mast has a good foot or two worth of water in it by the sound of it and will not drain on it's own in any position I have tried so far.

The value add here....
It makes a nice rain stick when you rock it in a see-saw motion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

I would drill through the seal at the top and then fill with 3M 5200 or similar.

It is possible for a mast to "suck" water in past seals as the mast heats and cools it can create a vacuum. The water would not easily pass back by the seal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent. Thanks Matt.
Your knowledge and patience is truly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gordo put a drain plug (like on the back of a 14/16/17) on the bottom of his mast that leaks a bit and he can unscrew the plug and drain the mast between races. Pretty smart if you ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Indeed, which brings me back to my original question about how high up to drill in the bottom of a Wave mast for drainage vs. a solid inside. I was thinking that drilling and tapping something as small as a grease nipple would do. I wouldn't need something that fingers off as I have no one to race around here. She sits mast up on my shore all summer though, so an occasional drain without taking the mast down would be ideal.

In any case, I drilled through the inside seal at the top end this weekend to let it drain and then resealed it as that was an easy fix. I've pulled the boat up off the shore, so that may be the last time it's wet until the spring. Although, if I get a surprisingly nice weekend I'm only a minute from the launch site so who knows. I just wanted to get it up before a good, fall noreaster blows the tide in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've probably seen my posts before, but what I did was drill two TINY (maybe 1/32 inch) weep holes inside the luff track; one about 1.5 inches up from the mast base to drain water out of the mast; the other near the top of the aluminum section, just above the foam plug, so water doesn't pool there.

Once everything drained and dried, I haven't had any water accumulate since, and the holes aren't an issue in a capsize.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Indy,

I did indeed see your post, which is where I got the 1.5" mark in my first post. I also found another person stating that there was a second foam plug from that point up for the next foot or so. Therefore I was looking for clarification. I'm not sure what purpose this bottom foam would serve though so it was suspect, but figured it was worth asking.

I think the top weep hole above the plug is a great idea and I may do the bottom as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt Miller, this is a question for you please. I’m bringing this thread back to life.

As background, I bought my Wave new in 2014. It was my 45th birthday present to myself and the best present I’ve ever got. My kids, friends, and I have got so much enjoyment out of it since. Thank you for the amazing stuff you make at Hobie!

But now there’s water in the lower mast. And actually I had to replace the previous lower mast because water got in it, froze, and cracked the mast. So now I want to find a solution.

You suggested poking a hole through the seal at the top of the lower mast. If you still think this is the best approach, what would you suggest using to poke a hole through it? My drill can’t reach in there and the sealant is pretty tough.

On the other hand, IndyWave wrote:

“You've probably seen my posts before, but what I did was drill two TINY (maybe 1/32 inch) weep holes inside the luff track; one about 1.5 inches up from the mast base to drain water out of the mast; the other near the top of the aluminum section, just above the foam plug, so water doesn't pool there.“

Matt, what do you think of this approach as a long term solution?

Thank you,

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you mentioned me, I can tell you I’ve never had a problem with water in my mast since I drilled those weep holes, and that’s been a long time ago. It sits outside year round; and I still sail and race my Wave regularly.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Indy, thanks for your reply. Good to hear this worked for you.

One question: where exactly did you drill the holes?

I want to get this right if I go that way.

Kind regards,

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I wrote above is about the best description I can give. I didn’t measure exactly; I just aimed for above the mast base casting ( which is about an inch tall) and above the foam barrier in the top (which you can see from the end).

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Engineering is looking at the idea of drilling in the luff track and would be above the plug in the bottom of the mast. They have not yet provided the details.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)