Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You might try Bird Island Basin on the island. It is great windsurfing and sailing without waves but you can probably sail into the Gulf from there (the Laguna Madre). I haven't had my Wave down there yet but I agree Packery Channel looks dicey to get in from.

As for the wave size, I agree the Wave can handle larger waves once you are out sailing. We rented a Wave in Key West and had a great time in the Ocean.

Let us know how it goes; I plan to try my Wave down at Corpus too.

Good luck,

Tim Mason
cobrasailing.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cobrasailing wrote:
You might try Bird Island Basin on the island. It is great windsurfing and sailing without waves but you can probably sail into the Gulf from there (the Laguna Madre). I haven't had my Wave down there yet but I agree Packery Channel looks dicey to get in from.

As for the wave size, I agree the Wave can handle larger waves once you are out sailing. We rented a Wave in Key West and had a great time in the Ocean.

Let us know how it goes; I plan to try my Wave down at Corpus too.

Good luck,

Tim Mason
cobrasailing.com

Tim,

Are you saying take Laguna Madre to Packery Channel and go out to the Gulf from there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking that there was an opening to get from the laguna madre to the gulf near Malaquite beach but I think I was wrong. I looked on a map and don't see it. I wouldn't sail from Bird Island to Packery to get out. Sorry for the bad info... I haven't been to Corpus in a while.
Could always try sailing in the bay, they get some pretty good waves too. Let me know how you end up getting into the Gulf; I might just come try it too.

Tim
cobrasailing.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got my wave Sunday, Oct. 26. I was looking forward to taking it out for the first time on Saturday, Nov. 1. Before I left my apartment I decided to set it up in the parking lot just to make sure I knew how. I watched the DVD a couple of times, read through the manual, and then went out to do it. I managed to figure out how to step the mast and hold it up with the halyard so my hands would be free to attach the forestay. I then discovered that the forestay adjuster that connects the forestay to the bridle was missing. So no sailing for me. I found the part online and placed an order. It wasn't too expensive. It was a bit of a disappointment but I played around with the various parts of the boat and got pretty comfortable with it all. I also figured a better way to lash everything down to the trailer than the way the previous owner had it. All in all a good day even though I didn't get out on the water. Several people stopped by to say how cool my Hobie was. That felt pretty good. But, that's nothing compared to how cool it is going to be when it is out on the water kicking up a spray.