Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For my third time to sail my Wave I went into the Gulf of Mexico at Port Aransas. The wind was hitting the shoreline at an angle so I launched at what was supposed to be a beam reach. The waves were big and scary and I was affraid to take them at too much of an angle so I kept turning into them, which caused me to keep stalling. The waves were really knocking me around. I didn't know if I had exceeded the limit of what the Wave could handle. The only way to know is to keep taking on bigger waves until you exceed the limit. I didn't know if I was ever going to punch through the surf zone, but I didn't know how to turn around at that point so I had no choice but to keep going. I finally made it through the surf but then I was getting too close to the jetty. Note to self, if the angle of the wind forces me to have to angle towards the jetty when launching, start off much further from the jetty. Now I need to tack, but I am affraid of tacking and heading back into the surf I just escaped. I floundered around for a while, knowing if I get too close to the jetty the wind will push me into it and beat me to death. Finally managed to point in a direction that allowed me to sail away from the jetty but not right back into the surf. I don't know how I did that. God looking out for me I guess. After a while it was time to head back to my car. I was basically on a run back to the beach. There was a large ship heading out of the jetties. I can't wait for the day that I am a good enough sailor to play around in the Gulf and watch the ships. The Wave caught the waves and surfed like a champ. At no point in time did I feel like I was going to broach and as far I could tell I was far from pitch polling. That is another limit you have to exceed before you know. It is remarkable how close to my car I hit the beach. God looking out for me, no doubt. I bought a Dynamic Dolly. The guy who runs Dynamic Dollies told me to float the boat up onto the dolly and then pull it out of the water. With the surf knocking the boat around that is easier said than done. I would like to see a demonstration. I was trying to pull the stern of the boat back into the wind and into deeper water so I could get the dolly under it. I then saw that with the main sheet let so far out the wind was catching my sail, like you would want on a run. I decided to sheet in the main so that it would not catch the wind. I don't know if a gust of wind came from a different direction, but all of a sudden the boat begins to lean in the direction of the beach. If my hand had been on the sheet I could have popped it loose, but I was busy trying to pull the boat backwards into deeper water. It crashed over onto its side. The mast stayed on the ball, and nothing came loose. The bracket that holds the mast bob bent, so now the mast bob is over to one side. I guess it will still do its job. I wonder if the chain plates are alright, or if anything else was weakened. A passerby helped me get it back up and onto the trailer. As much as the Wave is supposed to be a one man boat, I have a hard time getting it off the trailer and into the water, and vice versa. So far, I am having a hard time using the Dynamic Dolly. Hopefully with a little practice it will get easier. That is my story. The sail today took me well out of my comfort zone. The waves were big and really bouncing me around. Because of the angle of the wind and a poor choice of where to launch, I was sailing towards the south jetty of Port A, but still close to the surf, not knowing how to tack away from the jettie and still stay out of the surf. A better sailor could have probably handled the situation with ease.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've sailed a Hobie 14, 16, Wave and Escape Playcat, beach launching in the Destin area (Holiday Isle), often single handing. My comment would be run your boat up onto the beach (wind direction allowing), un-cleat and play out the main sheet and raise the rudders before you get off........or do anything else. Quickly drag the bows around into the wind. At that point drop the main before the wind starts clocking around again. You'll have a fighting chance to drop the main (rolling it up as you go), which requires a little practice. If you're standing between the bows, facing mast, wind at your back, you can lower the sail, temporarily cleat the halyard, roll the main a little, lower, re-cleat, repeat, etc. Bungee the rolled sail temporarily to the tramp and then you can start deciding how to get your dolly underneath, etc.

You're correct, when launching, to note the wind direction and any obstacles in line with that chosen tack. Wind direction and wave action will most likely determine your options. If I've got no beach help, tall breaking surf and wind directly on shore, I usually can't launch. Too easy to loose power before you're out of the surf line and start to broach.

I won't say it can't happen, but the Wave behaves really well and is very forgiving when you bury a lee hull. It's never been scary like it can be with a Hobie 16.

bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great story Tarzan! to answer the beach capsize, well, it has happened twice to me when walking away from the boat with the mainsheet cleated. More times than on the water in greater wind. I removed the cleat on mine and it no longer is a problem. Takes a little time getting used to sailing with no cleat but it works and one feels the wind pressure easier. I race the boat so it is an advantage to have removed the cleat, especially in hard puffs. Much faster response time. Am looking forward to the big swells on the Sea of Cortez (Puerto Penasco aka Rocky Point) this next racing season. It fits your description of beach launching in strong breeze.