Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to stop flying?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going out for my 2nd time ever sailing. If I'm on a port track, close hauled or close reach and the port pontoon starts flying, how do I get it back down? If I go more close haul into the wind seems like the turning left would make the momentum lift the port haul more and tip over. However it is also more into the wind and less strong.
If I turn more to a beam reach to throw the port pontoon down back into the water seems natural, but would be turning to a stronger point of sail and catch more wind.
Forgive the boat lingo if it's wrong as I have to look up the meanings of the words I just used. Please don't use too much lingo in the reply.

Post subject: Re: How to stop flying?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let the sail out a little and/or turn into the wind.
Think of the sail as an airplane wing. You need to keep the air flowing evenly across both sides and you can monitor this with the tell tales on the sail. So as your angle to the wind changes your sail angle also needs to change. So, if you went down wind onto that beam reach to lower the hull you would also have to let the sail out... Too close to the wind and you cant sail and slow down.

It's probably time to get Phil Berman's book on Catamaran Sailing. I did a lot of reading when I first got into sailing and I am still on a learning curve (at the bottom really).

It's probably good for you to capsize the boat too and learn to right it. I was very timid of it until I capsized and once I realized that I lived and got the boat back upright (2 or 3 minutes) I was way more confidant. Since that capsize I also turtled the boat, solo, and was able to recover!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

EDIT - I see now this was in the Wave Forum (was thinking 16), so a few things I said won't apply... like the main traveler. My experience with the Wave is very limited, I rented one and sailed for it for a few hours, only had 6-8 MPH winds, so fly a hull I did not.

Flying a hull is fun, but I get it, on your second outing, you feel like you are gonna die. Get on the trapeze or simply lean your upper body out to balance it out. To depower, release the main sheet. But if you're like me, you may not realize the use of the main sail traveler early in your sailing. A really great way to reduce that tipping effect is to travel the mainsheet traveler farther out. The reason a close hauled point of sail generates so much "heeling" (tipping) force is due to the angle of attack of the sail... in a close haul, most of the force is pulling the sail perpendicular to the boat, versus a reach where much more force is pulling the sail forward. I like to watch youtube videos to pick up on techniques (good and bad). I'll share one of mine for what it's worth.

2012 H16 (with 2018 Cayman Main) #115139

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

serpa4 wrote:
I'm going out for my 2nd time ever sailing. If I'm on a port track, close hauled or close reach and the port pontoon starts flying, how do I get it back down? If I go more close haul into the wind seems like the turning left would make the momentum lift the port haul more and tip over. However it is also more into the wind and less strong.
If I turn more to a beam reach to throw the port pontoon down back into the water seems natural, but would be turning to a stronger point of sail and catch more wind.
Forgive the boat lingo if it's wrong as I have to look up the meanings of the words I just used. Please don't use too much lingo in the reply.

The question is, why would you not want to fly the hull!!! That is my addiction! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMrXEHegpqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

And...

ALWAYS keep the mainsheet in your hand with no slack between you and the cleat (if cleated). When in puffy winds... keep the line un cleated and hold in your hand. Never lay the line down out of immediate reach.

Best to make it a habit to always hold the sheet and only let it go if the sail is not cleated.

Gloves are your friend. They prevent wear to your hands and add friction to your grip which reduces the amount of effort needed to hold onto the line.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There's an old adage in sailing: when in doubt, let it out! Most beginning sailors pull the main sheet in too far anyway, and "spilling" some wind will get you back flat (unless you've gone over so far that your boom "trips" on the water!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been watching some videos, all let out the sail, hardly anyone tries to steer out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bmdumr wrote:
EDIT - I see now this was in the Wave Forum (was thinking 16), so a few things I said won't apply... like the main traveler. My experience with the Wave is very limited, I rented one and sailed for it for a few hours, only had 6-8 MPH winds, so fly a hull I did not.

Flying a hull is fun, but I get it, on your second outing, you feel like you are gonna die. Get on the trapeze or simply lean your upper body out to balance it out. To depower, release the main sheet. But if you're like me, you may not realize the use of the main sail traveler early in your sailing. A really great way to reduce that tipping effect is to travel the mainsheet traveler farther out. The reason a close hauled point of sail generates so much "heeling" (tipping) force is due to the angle of attack of the sail... in a close haul, most of the force is pulling the sail perpendicular to the boat, versus a reach where much more force is pulling the sail forward. I like to watch youtube videos to pick up on techniques (good and bad). I'll share one of mine for what it's worth.

So installing a traveler would be a good first upgrade? How difficult is that to do?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Windy day, 15-20 with gust to 30. Too much, was a bit intimidated, a bit scared. Shoved off, got down wind fine, but getting back was hard. I kept the bow at 35 deg or so to keep the speed down and the hull down. Took forever to get back to the marina. Thought about beaching it several times and walking the long walk back to my car to get the trailer. I held out and got back to the launching spot.
I had a hell of a time tacking. I kept getting stuck in irons as I think everyone calls it. I had to recover by heading upwind on port tac over and over getting close to the rock shore. Ugh, it was pretty nerve wrecking for sure. Several times I had to fully let go of the main sheet to keep from flying which I don't want to do with only 3 trips sailing. The lake is devoid of people so I didn't want to get suck out.
Well, think next time will be 10-15 wind and warmer water.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A traveler will turn the wave into something to be reckoned with especially in heavy air. Worth every penny. Easy to install. Pick up one of these :http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-riveters/heavy-duty-17-1-2-half-inch-hand-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html

Popping stainless rivets is the hardest part. This tool or the one from Northern tool makes it effortless. If you have a classic wave there is a workaround regarding the straps on the rear cross bar.

In 20-30's, move the traveler out about 6 inches, sheet in all the way (full rake on the mast block to block is a must) and the little plastic boat will take off like a hellion. I think it's the single best addition to the wave you could do. The biggest benefit is in heavy air sailing of course along with the rake. Promise, you'll have power boats chasing you up the lake. No joke. 15-25's is the sweet spot for the wave. Happy sailing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_hE6BGt0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nF7TBNBkQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

putting a traveler on the se wave is doable just have to use a rivet gun and put on cleats to tie down the stern part of the tramp. flying a hull is a lot of fun. in 30 mile hour wind maybe not. just have to be careful not to pitchpole into waves. do remember when in doubt let the sail out. depowering will save you from a little dunking. AS i say to my riders when the boat tips over get back to the boat immediately. Don't come up and discuss anything. The wave has a tendency to sail faster than you can swim even on its side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would suggest you flip the boat over as soon as you go out next time. Seriously... Right off the shore just dump the thing and get it over with. Just make sure you have a good righting line, uncleat the main and understand how to position the boat in the wind to make it come back up easy.

Once you have mastered righting the boat I think you will enjoy your sailing MUCH more. A Wave with a mast bob is pretty easy to right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

+1 on the traveler.
Adds excitement by letting you adjust for higher winds and in the reverse, it can help a lot when you are blowing your lungs out trying to get downwind when the wind dies to to near nothing.