Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know if I am willing to pay the thousand bucks or so a new one would cost.

If anyone had a second hand one they can part with I am interested.

On the other hand, I have read about people making use of stadium seats. I am picturing how this would work. I would imagine that I would tie a rope from the bottom of the seat to the foot strap on the opposite side of the tramp I am sitting on that is long enough to be tight when I am sitting on the hull. I guess if one or both legs are anchored under the near foot strap I could lean back without flipping over. Is that what others here have done? How has that worked out? For those who have used stadium seats, how comfortable and secure did you feel? Did you stick with it or ultimately abandon the idea because it wasn't working out? Any advice on stadium seat selection?

Are there any other alternate ideas besides the official Wave back rest and the stadium seat?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't imagine a stadium seat working out very well.

Fortunately, my Wave came with the backrests, so I didn't have to decide whether I wanted to spend all that money or not to buy them. They are nice to have when sailing in lighter winds.

I don't see why a guy couldn't make his own backrests using the same concept of putting some kind of tubing in the crossbars. I do see suppliers for aluminum pipe and fittings on the internet:
http://www.diamond-aluminum.com/fittingpages/105.htm
http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB1802 ... Pipe-Elbow

Jim

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a little disappointed. I have seen other posts on this forum from people who have mentioned using stadium seats. I was hoping one of them might chime in.

Other than that, are there any tricks to easing the pressure on the lower back when cat sailing or is it just something we have to live with as part of the game?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry I have no info. on stadium seating except to say I tried it with a cheap seat and was glad I bought cheap to try because the very first time out I, of course, forgot I was sitting on it and it slipped into the water twice when tacking. I gave up and it gathers dust now.

Also, this may not be helpful at all in your particular situation but a crazy high percentage of back strain can be moved from your back muscles to your stomach muscles by strengthening up your stomach muscles. They are the natural place to support the lower back but when they get weak, the back muscles have to take over.

I'm not claiming an iron six pack here myself, so please don't take offence. I consider myself in pretty good shape for my age but every spring I make a point to toughen up the winter gut. Otherwise I feel it in my back when I start to kayak and sail.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am still new to cat sailing but I am going to experiment with how to best balance on the edge of the hull. I could probably reduce strain on my back by straightening out more and finding the right balance point.

As far as the stadium seat is concerned, I haven't tried it yet but I would tie it off to the center of the tramp so it couldn't slide off the edge.

I also thought of buying a throwable flotation device and tying it off. It would elevate my sitting position by 2.5", which probably feel like a lot more than it sounds. My rear end was so sore after my last sail.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am open to selling my back rests for a wave. Located in Malibu, CA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tarzan wrote:
I am a little disappointed. I have seen other posts on this forum from people who have mentioned using stadium seats. I was hoping one of them might chime in.

Other than that, are there any tricks to easing the pressure on the lower back when cat sailing or is it just something we have to live with as part of the game?

If you have back pain from sailing you should give this a try:

http://www.idealbacktrac.com/
&
https://www.facebook.com/comfortabletraction

It works for me! :D