Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We are new to sailing and in a recent, moderate wind day (10 mph) my wife wasn’t comfortable holding sheet when pulled in. I know it’s bad practice to cleat it when it could be gusty, so I’m debating between the Harken 40mm ratcheting block for the top of the mainsheet system, or the more expensive solution of a 6:1 system. Obviously getting stronger would work, but at our age, that’s a tall order.

I know the ratchet won’t help make the initial pull easier, but I think holding it is the bigger issue we’re trying to solve. I’d like to go with just the ratchet solution if possible – it’s much less expensive. But I’ve seen a few posts saying that the ratchet sometimes stops the sheet from immediately releasing when you need it to, and that scares me a bit. I’ve also read that the original Wave mainsheet doesn’t run well through the Harken blocks (mine is brand new, in case that helps).

Any advice or experiences going with the 4:1 ratchet or switching to a full 6:1?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Going to 6:1 is a bit much on the Wave. Maybe consider 5:1 that can be swapped to 4:1 on lighter wind days. The 6:1 will not feed out well with the little sail of the wave.

Ratchets should be able to turn on/off when needed. That is the best type in my opinion. You can turn off in anything but stronger winds, so the sheet runs out easily.

Gloves are also key. Big difference in sheet holding ability / fatigue.

Line type should be fuzzy Dacron, not smooth poly for better grip... just in case it was changed from stock.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. We both have the Harken Sport Spectrum 3/4 Finger Gloves which I saw good recommendations for on Google, so hopefully they are OK. My Wave is new, so it still has the stock blue line.

Seems like the Harken HSB411 is the most commonly used upgrade block. Unless anyone has a better idea, I'll try that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a low-profile Harken 6 to 1 on my son's Wave. He was only 9 when he started so he needed the help. It works great! I often teach kids and women and strength is simply not an issue, ever. You will need a much longer mainsheet and it can pile up a bit on the tramp when you're sheeted in. But the effortless action of the main and the perfectly balanced rudders make any Opti or Sunfish sailor never want to go back to their cramped and poorly behaved mono-slug. My Wave is the PERFECT training platform!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love the Nautos 6:1 that I put on my Wave. It makes it easy to sheet in, even in strong winds, and it's very easy to hold.
In light winds, it's a little slow to feed out, but not a problem. In heavy winds it feeds out just fine.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the help. I ordered the Harken ratcheting block and I'll have to wait and see if I made the right choice. The local lake seems to have light and moderate winds, so I'm hopefull.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did a little write up at Galeforce of 3 choices of blocks. Here is a link: http://galeforcehobiecat.freeforums.net/thread/100
Matt does have a point about the 6:1 feeding out and this is especially true in light winds. In heavier winds it feeds out pretty easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tradisrad wrote:
I did a little write up at Galeforce of 3 choices of blocks. Here is a link: http://galeforcehobiecat.freeforums.net/thread/100
Matt does have a point about the 6:1 feeding out and this is especially true in light winds. In heavier winds it feeds out pretty easily.

Thanks. I had found that article during my search fro info, and it was very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
Could you please tell what is too light wind for 6:1 system? Thanks.