Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I and probably others need a map with ramps to put our hobies in the water.

Hi, I live in Atlanta GA and go around for business and pleasure to shores of NC, SC, GA, FL and AL. While here in Atlanta I found a good lake to go sail my Wave - lake Lanier, I have hard time finding places to put my Wave anywhere in the Atlantic ocean or Golf of Mexico.
Obviously I don't have a motor and for me narrow channel filled with motor boats and enclosed from the wind is a big deal, critical point of having fun day on the water vs straggling with the paddle for a few hours at the beginning and at the end of my journey.
On lake Lanier I found a place, not perfect but better than others to put my boat in and get in open waters in 20-30 min fighting just a few motorboat waves.
So, is someone tried to create a map with those good places to get in and out of water especially ocean and golf. It can be a nice crowd sourcing project.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Here on this site / forums, Scroll down the sailing topics... : Places to Sail http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19

Google Map of Launch Sites: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10532

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

re: Lake Lanier
If you're on the west side of the lake, I've sailed from Tidwell Park, and Vanns Tavern Park (sand beach adjoining ramps). Stop by the Corp of Engrs. office on Lanier and you can obtain a map of all the ramps on the lake. Most require a $3/day use fee, others are controlled by the nearest city.
re: Destin
There's a public ramp on Okaloosa Island (hwy 98) into the Bay. Destin also has a ramp just north of the city that is on the Bay.
re: Panama City
St Andrews state park has ramps

Let Google be your friend. Most local areas have some type of boat ramp for launching. Check with local sail club and/or local sail hardware store

fair winds,
bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, I use Vann Tavern... AND St Andrews is my plan for tomorrow. I will try to get to Shell island.