Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been out in low wind, with a few decent gusts, and I'm hoping to step it up a bit this weekend. I want to feel confident that I'm making the right control changes if the boat starts to heel over too much. I've read bunch of posts and have a some questions:

- I think it's right that letting out the main will always depower the boat and bring it back down (assuming you do it quickly enough). Is this true?

- I thought that steering into the wind had the same effect, but I've seen comments that on a beam reach you do the opposite and steer away from the wind. Is it correct that you steer into the wind on close reach but away from the wind on beam reach?

- If you are all the way back and leaning out, and you still see the leeward hull digging in on a broad reach, what do you do with the sail or steering to help?

Thanks, Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You basically have it right. Really there is no absolute answer here. Letting go of the main sheet is the quickest way to power down the boat. If your first learning, don't cleat the main sheet so if a big gust comes up you can reflexively let out the main sail. It seems like if I'm about to go over, then steering into wind works nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank for the reply.

Quote:
It seems like if I'm about to go over, then steering into wind works nicely.
Can I just confirm that you would steer back into the wind even on a beam reach? That's where I got a bit confused. I've seen some posts that recommend bearing off to bring the windward hull back down from on a beam reach.

Regards,
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a beam reach, playing the sheet will be most effective in controlling your angle of heel. Trying to control heel angle on a beam reach by steering can be a little tricky. Depending on your exact point of sail, turning the boat may have varying effect. But dumping sheet will always bring it back down.

On a close reach or close hauled course, easing the sheet and/or turning up into the wind will depower the boat.

On a broad reach, turn the boat downwind to depower. You can also ease the sheet, but typically the sheet is already out pretty far, so there may not be much left to ease.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. That's very helpful.