Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just read a blog post by an experienced sailor who was new to the Wave and got his foot caught in the hiking strap as it flipped. He'd had one foot in the strap and, as a big gust capsized the Wave, his body and foot slid down and trapped his leg as he went over. Luckily he was not badly hurt and was rescued.

It's a scenario that I've often wondered about.

I've been following the advice I saw in one of Geoff Victor's videos - I keep one foot partially under the strap, with my toes kinda curled up to hook on, and the other foot braced against the lacing down the rear crossbar (he actually uses his traveler cleat, but I don't want to break that). I hope I can pull my foot out if I start to go over, but I've a feeling I'll be focused on trying to save it and forget about my foot!

Does anyone have any tips about how to avoid falling forward with a foot stuck in the strap?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

I never stick my leg in a hiking strap. Just the top of my foot and not past the ankle. Bent leg best.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've pitched forward and have had my leg stuck in the hiking strap. Only my foot was under the strap and the sudden stop threw me forward and center forcing my leg under the strap. For a standard capsize (if there is one) the boat usually blows over slow enough the there is time to react. At a certain point I let go of the tiller and main sheet and start to head for the high side. More often than not the boat settles back down. If you're caught off guard, perhaps like the story you read, there may not be much you can do but go for the ride :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have flipped mine many times, and have never got caught in the hiking straps. When it happens most the time you know "ya, I'm gonna get wet" :lol: There have been times of great gusts where I did not expect it and still have not had any issues. I as well position my self so when I'm hiked out the strap is just below the ankles where the curve of the foot is. My suggestion is to practice capsizing on a controlled day and in a safe area free of other boats, etc. This way you know what to expect for when it does happen. The first time you'll be a bit nervous. Also it will help you to know how to right it as well. Have Fun! Be Safe!

You can kinda see my position in the video in this post here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55744

Somethng to do: Go Sailing
Something to love: Sailing
Something to hope for: Good Winds for Sailing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it's rare, and I do carry something capable of cutting the straps if needed.