Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am often sitting on the hull right near the tiller, so I'm interested in adding a pad back there. Last year I slipped a couple of times when wearing spray pants, so it's more about traction than comfort.

I'm thinking of ordering this stuff that's designed for kayaks: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/436 ... -Pads.html.

Any ideas about what will and will not stick? Anyone done this? What did you use?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen folks add some marine carpeting. I like what you have in mind. how about using a Wave seat pad cut in half? I think that contact cement would be the choice of adhesives. Post a picture if you install something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Post a picture if you install something.

Sure, happy to. I decided to try this because it comes in white: http://www.amazon.com/PUNT-SURF-Tractio ... 626&sr=8-2

After I've used it a couple of times, I'll post my opinion. With the cold water temps, it will probably be mid-May before I've tried it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Leecea, I bought and installed the Punt Surf pad. I bought the 20x20 and cut it in half and put it about 1" behind the blues seat pad and then I went sailing! I think I need to buy a few strips the put on the rear half of the outside edge of the blue pad as that is still a bit slippery there. Over all I am pleased with the traction and it looks good too!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very nice. I just installed mine a few hours ago. I cut it in half but put it lengthwise along the hull. I was doubting myself as I did it and now I'm wishing I did it your way :( Weather is not good around here so probably a couple of weeks before I get out. I guess it's cheap enough that I can buy more and redo it if needed.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I too thought of doing it lengthwise and in hindsight I wish I would have replaced the blue pad with this as well. I may contact Punt Surf and see if I can get a custom cut that can go from near the front blue pad to the rear cross bar and I'll have traction for the crew as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The seat padding I originally put on last spring came off over the last few sails, so I decided to try some padding from Agenda Surf.
I bought a 4x8' sheet of diamond groove padding with 3M adhesive that is supposed to be for plastic surfaces. It was expensive and I was originally going to run it the entire 8' length of the padding. The frugal mister in me decided that I did not 8' of padding, after all no one sites up front, so I cut the sheet in half and I can replace it again if needed. Then I trimmed to size and put it on the boat. I have not sailed it yet with the new padding, but I think it will do the trick and stop my butt from sliding off the boat. let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, talk about a timely post. I was going to order some punt surf pad tonight. Now I will wait to see how this plays out.

Has anybody tried using a padded short like these from Zhik? https://www.zhik.com/dinghy/bottoms/dec ... horts.html
The comfort should be there but not sure about them being slippery.

Tradisrad, what are the lines running down both sides of your boat to the blocks at the back crossbar corners for?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

maxphunn, the lines running from front to rear crossbar is for my crew to hang onto and they double as stern lines. The blocks at the rear are for the spinnaker sheet.

The Zhik shorts look nice and comfy and they may not slip too much, however they are pricey and dont do the crew any good.