Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave first sail report
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took my new-to-me 2011 Club Wave (with traveller and bow spreader bar) out for our first sail today. I used to sail H16s in college, so I think I was a little complacent. I chose a day that was 16 knots gusting to 20 because I expected the Wave to be slow, and almost dumped it on the first gust. This boat can move!

No idea how fast I was going (felt pretty fast), but I know for sure I wasn't even getting the sail in properly most of the time. The main kept cleating itself and I'd go to let it out only to have to frantically uncleat. The old "mainsheet in the water" thing happened too. Do y'all use the mesh that Hobie sells to close off the space between the tramps?

The dock (mainly a power boat launch) was at a terrible angle for returning, so I definitely hit it harder than I wanted to. No damage to the boat though, it is a tough little thing. Got it on and off the trailer without much difficultly beyond slipping and sliding on the boat ramp.

I had my 10 hole forestay adjuster on hole 8 (from the bottom), and the two sides on hole 4. I had just a smidge weather helm which I think is a good thing. Does that match how y'all rig it for that wind level?

Under my thumbs hurt from opening up split rings. Do you all use those or something different on the forestay and stays?

Where do you tie your painter? I had mine around the front cross bar, then I took a couple turns around the bow spreader pole. I now wonder if that was dumb, because I was probably loading up the bow screws doing it that way. But I don't think I'd have much control with it just around the cross bar.

Lastly, what is inside the bows that the bridle screws go into? It there a metal plate or something that spreads the load? I'll be changing out the standing rigging piece by piece for piece of mind, and I don't want to drop anything into the hull when I undo the bridle horseshoe thingys.

Thanks!

(Also, I'm in Seabrook, TX. Anyone else sail Waves in that area? Does everyone truck on down to the Texas City Dike? I was the only sailboat at the boat launch I used at Clear Lake park.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the wave. Ive owned a 14, 16's, (4) waves and now sailing a 17. I have to say the wave was an absolute BLAST to sail in wind. I would only take it out minimum of 15 knots and have taken it out in 25-30 gust to 35. I also added the traveler which helped a lot #1 upgrade in my opinion.
Sounds like you had the mast rake about right. I would go as far back as possible with the mast in higher wind, I was able to go block to block I also upgraded to 6:1 low profile blocks.
As far as using split rings, thats what I had and never had a problem. Build some calluses...lol
The bow screws, I believe, are built into the roto-mold itself so there is no backer plate involved and does not go to the hollow part of the hull BUT...BE VERY CAREFUL not to shear a screw off very difficult to get that out of there.

Im not sure what a "painter" is Ive never heard that term before?

Waves are so underrated in the "fast and fun" category especially when you solo which I do 99% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy! I'm a new Wave sailor from Pearland. I've only sailed at the Texas City Dike, but I want to sail Clear Lake also since it is closer for me. The dike is easy to launch and land from because of the beach, and the boat ramps/piers at Clear Lake Park kinda intimidate me since I've never launched or landed that way before. Did you have a crew to help load the boat at the ramp or was that what the painter was for? I usually single hand out at the dike using cat trax to get the boat to the water.

I too sailed in high winds but on the 4th of July. It was probably too windy for my experience level, and I had the boat loaded down too much with kids and wife. I had a heck of a time tacking due to the load. By myself it was awesome though...it would have been better if a little bit less choppy. Usually the dike is flat mostly on the bay side.

My friend that sails a Supercat told me to get quick pins to replace the clevis rings that the Wave comes with. Not sure how prone the quick pins are to disengaging. He says he's never had a problem, but others have warned it's a good way to drop the mast out on the water.

If you want to sail at the dike, there is a good group of cat sailors that meets out there every first Saturday of the month. Look up Texas City Dike Beach Cats on Facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used "quick-release detent pins" (murrays.com) on the forestays of Hobie 14, 16, and Wave and never had a problem. The pins have a spring loaded detent ball on one end to prevent the pin from slipping out. These pins are 3" long (typically) with a ring pull on the opposite end. I tie a loop of small diameter shock cord thru the pin's ring pull (shorter than the pin's length). After the pin is installed in the forestay, stretch the shock cord over the detent end of the pin.

Three things help keep the pin in place. The load on the forestay, the detent ball in the pin, and the shock cord. I've capsized the '16' numerous times in the Gulf and never had a problem with the forestay pin coming out.

I never remove the pins (and wing dings) on the side stays so there's no chance of losing them in the sand, etc.

bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Aggiedave02 wrote:
My friend that sails a Supercat told me to get quick pins to replace the clevis rings that the Wave comes with. Not sure how prone the quick pins are to disengaging. He says he's never had a problem, but others have warned it's a good way to drop the mast out on the water.

I picked one up from West Marine for my wave thinking it would cut a minute off rigging time. Used it 3 or 4 times. Kept it stored pinned in the adjuster. Went to take it out and while rigging could not find it! Looked all over the tramp, etc, then under the trailer and there it was. One of the peened-in bb's had just fallen out and it slipped through the adjuster as I was rigging up. Didn't go sailing that day. (I now carry spares) By the time I got back to WM the other bb had fallen out. All the time after purchase I was worried the pin might shear due to load. Never thought of it failing this way. I use standard pins now though I despise retainer rings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have a problem with the split rings. I use a fingernail to get them open and then they usually go on pretty easily. I see that Amazon has cheap split ring pliers that are aimed at jewelry makers, but I've never used them.

I don't really use a painter to tie the boat up, but I do carry a spare rope. I thread a bungee or two through the tramp lacing at the front and stick things like my two-piece paddle, small cooler, and the coiled up spare rope under that.

For single handed ramp hauling, I installed a cheap winch on the trailer. Saves me putting my back out trying to pull it up. Luckily most of my launching is from the shore with cat tracks, but I've done a few ramps.