Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is anybody here using a ratcheting block for the upper block on their mainsheet?

I have been thinking of getting a Harken #2609 40 mm ratchet block with becket, here is the link...

http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=4657

I only sail my wave in winds above 10 knots and I don't usually sail cleated. Holding on to the mainsheet gets tiring and hard on my hands even though I have good sailing gloves. I have no trouble pulling the sheet in tight, it is holding on to it that gives me problems.

I was considering a 6:1 setup, but for me the ratchet block seems like a better alternative.

Being a novice, I thought I would ask for advice here. Am I on the right track?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Two things to consider:

1. This block have only one sheave while OEM system has two. Thus, this block give you 2:1 purchase instead of 4:1 of OEM system.
2. Switching racheting action on and off on upper block could be tricky.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CA Newbie wrote:
Two things to consider:

1. This block have only one sheave while OEM system has two. Thus, this block give you 2:1 purchase instead of 4:1 of OEM system.
2. Switching racheting action on and off on upper block could be tricky.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is a pic of the upper block on my Wave. Pretty sure it is OEM. I think I know what you are saying. The OEM has a fiddle block. The Harken I posted above has a becket.
So maybe this Harken would work better? http://www.harken.com/productdetail.asp ... &taxid=420

The switch shouldn't be a problem, leave it in the on position for the stronger winds I usually sail in, switch it off if I go out in light air.

CA Newbie, did you get to the Toronto Boat Show this week? I went yesterday and came away a little lighter in the wallet LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harken actually makes a upper block for the Wave: http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=13778

I tried that system and it worked well, but I found that I was still getting tired holding the main sheet, and I'm fairly strong, so I went to a 6:1 system. I like the high winds with the Wave, so the extra purchase is nice. I posted a write-up on another website see here: http://galeforcehobiecat.freeforums.net/thread/100/mainsheet-block-options-wave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it was your write-up that I read and then bought the Harken HSB411 - I kept the stock lower block. Seems fine. I don't have enough constant wind to get tired, so I mostly leave it free running and my wife uses the ratchet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
Harken actually makes a upper block for the Wave: http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=13778

I tried that system and it worked well, but I found that I was still getting tired holding the main sheet, and I'm fairly strong, so I went to a 6:1 system. I like the high winds with the Wave, so the extra purchase is nice. I posted a write-up on another website see here: http://galeforcehobiecat.freeforums.net/thread/100/mainsheet-block-options-wave

Thanks for the info Tradisrad. I remember reading your write-up awhile back and had thought if I go to a 6:1 the Nautos was the way to go. Great comparison by the way, and thanks for taking the time to write it. I see another poster in the comments section was using 3/8" rope. Are you still using the 5/16" rope mentioned in your write-up? Is that what you would recommend?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

maxphunn wrote:
CA Newbie, did you get to the Toronto Boat Show this week?
No.
maxphunn wrote:
I went yesterday and came away a little lighter in the wallet LOL.
That's one of the reasons, I didn't go. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get a 6.1 setup. cranking down on the main is a breeze, and if you really want to you can cleat in now and again to save your hands. My 67 year old hands are still going strong. See all my videos in YouTube under
Victor geoff

HOBIE WAVE
FANTASTIC PLASTIC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

geoffo wrote:
Get a 6.1 setup. cranking down on the main is a breeze, and if you really want to you can cleat in now and again to save your hands. My 67 year old hands are still going strong. See all my videos in YouTube under
Victor geoff

Yes, I have decided to do just that.

I have watched, and enjoyed your videos. Even learned a thing or two. Thanks for making them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Absolutely get the 6:1 for high winds. But, remember 4:1 is the class rule, if you plan to race.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What should be considered when deciding between a 57mm 6:1 system and a 40mm 6:1 system?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

maxavier wrote:
What should be considered when deciding between a 57mm 6:1 system and a 40mm 6:1 system?

The 57 will accept larger Dia line but will take more vertical distance so you can get 2 blocked easier with the larger sheave.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

geoffo wrote:
Victor geoff

Hi Geoff, love your videos. What 6:1 system did you go with?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The larger diameter blocks also use more line. So more to let out or sheet in, so go with the smallest blocks that accept the diameter line you want to use. Not a big deal with 6:1, but it does start to add up.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California