Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just received a bow spreader and tangs. It looks there will be some play where the bar won't be tight against the flat part of the tangs (it will slide left and right about 3/8" inch).

I'd heard that the bar was supposed to add rigidity so I'm thinking of adding some nylon spacers over the tangs, to make the bar a tighter fit.

Would that over stress anything? Is it supposed to have side-side play to allow flex or something?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My bar also has side to side play. When the boat is underway and the bridal is pulling on the front of the hulls the bows cinch up against the spreader bar.
Are you adding a jib? I made a bridal for my jib, so the stress is not in the center of the spreader bar, but rather on the bow tangs. I have heard/read that the spreader bar can bend under high jib loads.
What tramp do you have, classic or club? I found that the classic tramp could not pull the hulls together as tight as the club. I added club tramp rails to my early wave and put the club tramp on and it made a marked difference in how tight the hulls were pulled together and it also reduced the play in the spreader bar.
Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks. I have the club tramp. No jib yet, but I have read that a jib bridle is the way to go (maybe it was in one of your threads :)). Not sure if I'll add one. I usually get bored in the winter and do something. Last winter was a traveler. Maybe next winter a jib.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
Are you adding a jib? I made a bridal for my jib, so the stress is not in the center of the spreader bar, but rather on the bow tangs. I have heard/read that the spreader bar can bend under high jib loads. Good luck

Tradisrad, do you have a pic of your bridal? And do you know the measurement please? Are you using the Hobie jib?
On a video from Geoff Victor he shows his bridal wires as 90 cm (35-1/2"), but he is using an aftermarket jib that is a bit bigger than the Hobie jib. The leach of his jib is 327 cm, the luff 383 cm and the foot is 176 cm. Not sure what the Hobie measurements are.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 34" for each side with a 1" ring in the middle to clip the jib to. I recall having to shorten pig tail on the bottom of the jib a bit.
The hardest part of this project was getting both bridals the same length.

The connection in the middle. Both bridals terminate at the ring. Also shown is my jib 2:1 blocks and it's all attached to the spreader bar for transport.

The hull attachment; bar slop included:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you VERY much Tradisrad. That is a big help.