Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A few years back I came across a good deal on a spinnaker for my Wave. I used it a few times and was always frustrated with the bag launch and retrieval. My solution was to make my own spinnaker sock and snuffer ring. I bought some Phifertex from Sailrite and fashioned my own ring out of 3/4" PVC pipe.
Yesterday I was able to get out and use it for the first time. Unfortunately my video camera was not charged, so there is no video of the launch or retrieval. I will film it next time I get the chance.
We launched and retrieved it 5 time and overall it worked fairly well. I do need to change my dousing line and bag grommet, and the sheet was too thin to hold tight in the 20 mph gust.
Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the video.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks awesome! Just a thought.. A windsurfing carbon mast might be sturdier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great. How'd you get the pvc to bend so pretty?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought of a windsurf mast and have me eye on craigslist for something cheap and local. I used a boom from a small 9' Hunter Xcite since my purchase of that boat came with 4 extra booms.

To bend the PVC I used some cooking pots, bricks and heat gun. I used the bricks as a third hand and the cooking pots as the shape of the bend. Plenty of heat and the PVC bends, the oil in the work bench smokes, and I have a nice hoop in the end.

I cut a slot in the bottom of the hoop and my sock has a bolt rope that slips into the PVC slot. Really, I looked at how the commercial ones are made and then I fashioned my own.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tradisrad wrote:
I thought of a windsurf mast and have me eye on craigslist for something cheap and local. I used a boom from a small 9' Hunter Xcite since my purchase of that boat came with 4 extra booms.

To bend the PVC I used some cooking pots, bricks and heat gun. I used the bricks as a third hand and the cooking pots as the shape of the bend. Plenty of heat and the PVC bends, the oil in the work bench smokes, and I have a nice hoop in the end.

I cut a slot in the bottom of the hoop and my sock has a bolt rope that slips into the PVC slot. Really, I looked at how the commercial ones are made and then I fashioned my own.

Thanks for the description and good job. I'd like to see it in action when you get a chance. It seems a lot simpler to bend a PVC pipe than the way I've been making them. I've been fiberglassing around a wastebasket. Over time, the fiberglass has been cracking (there is a lot of stress on the structure when the knots are trying to go through the ring).

Another question, if you don't mind. How did you secure the sprit to the crossbeam?

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've never worked with fiberglass, so that was not a consideration for me.

It will be interesting to see how well the hoop holds up. My initial observation is that the diameter of the PVC is too small and that induces a lot of friction, also where the hoop connects to the t-fitting is an area of concern for friction and damage to the sail. My crew suggested to wrap the hoop with some pipe insulation and then use some slick plastic, like what reusable water bottles are made of, and wrap that around the foam. The idea is to provide a larger diameter and a slick surface. I may also consider larger diameter pipe, but the larger the pipe the heavier it is. I suppose I could go with an aluminum ring.

I have been eyeing the Dragoon spinnaker system and if mine does not pan out too well I may drop the coin on that. Only wish I could get it in the states.

I have the Hobie bracket riveted to the front cross bar and then I took an eye bolt, cut off the threads and I mount that with a clevis pin to the Hobie mount. The Hunter boom slips right onto the eye bolt. Perhaps not the most secure attachment, but it works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I presize my spin snuffer rings by first wadding up the sail (or an equivalent amount of cloth and then see what that diameter is). Also, I have had a lot of success by changing the method of retrieval by tying a loop so I retrieve in two stages so there is less of a wad to go in at first--but you have to have the ability to get to the second line to finish pulling it in. If you can reach the retrieve line from your tramp, you might try that.

Since it is PVC, I don't think it'll get more slippery by wrapping anything. It might be useful to smooth the sharp edges where the fitting meets the ring and where the sail will have to go through.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tpdavis you inspired me to smooth out the fitting. I had thought of making a ramp out of g-flex or something to smooth out the edge. I read your comment and that little light bulb went on, the obvious struck me and out came the belt sander.... then progressively to a wet 400 grit.... thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great. Happy to provide the suggestion. Look forward to seeing the video of it in operation.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In case anyone is interested, older hobie tigers had a similar setup. They called it a trumpet. This is in no way meant to be disrespectful, but the picture looks a bit like a toilet seat. 8-).. Maybe a little paint would fix that. Very interested to see how it sails. Might actually bring the power more forward and allow you to trapeze out. Can't wait to hear how it goes. There is no picture of the mast. Are you connecting to the existing mast tang? A final thought, some of f the F18s are mounting the snuffer on the side and part way down the spin pole. Seems to aid in retrieval. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by rasemans on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... erated.png

Link to your Dragoon with spinnaker image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How are the sailing trials with the spinnaker going?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for asking. I bought a Nacra this summer and have not been sailing the Wave, so I have not put any more time into the snuffer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi tradisrad,

I am looking for a boom for a Hunter xcite, and it looks as though you may have extra. I'm in Davenport, near Santa Cruz, and am hoping to not have to ship a boom across the country (ebay has one in FL). Might you be able to help me out? Thanks! (We just took the boat out with a wooden replacement, which worked fine. I need a boom vang as well if you happen to have 4 extra of those.)
Luke