Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone used the Hobie mast stepper on the Wave? Just wondering if it simplifies the process or does it add to the process? I sail mostly solo on a Bravo but recently purchased a Wave and plan on sailing solo with that as well....have not tried a solo mast stepping on the Wave yet. Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

The Wave mast is pretty easy to lift and step. The issue typically is getting the forestay pinned. The wave comes with an extra long halyard to allow you to hook it to the bridle eye strap on the bow. Once you step the mast you pull the halyard tight and tie to the downhaul cleat. This would hold it upright so you can step off the trampoline and pin the forestay.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Would a 10 hole bridle stay adjuster help ? I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I read that the 10-hole adjuster is recommended so you can rake the mast farther back, so that's what I have done. It doesn't change the stepping process. As already said, the mast is not that heavy and pretty easy to lift into place. Of course, that's all relative - some people will find it harder than others, and some people may need assistance. As Matt said, the key is to find a way to get the bridle into place so you can connect it to the fore stay. I didn't realize you could use the halyard - I will try that next time. It sounds easier than using an extra line, which I've been doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my Wave for about a year now and I often sail solo. I do just what Matt Miller explains. The mast is quite easy to step and the halyard is certainly long enough to use as a temporary forestay. It all works like a charm and is fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for everyone's input....I will try it the Matt Miller way! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the mast is not that heavy and pretty easy to lift into place. Of course, that's all relative - some people will find it harder than others, and some people may need assistance. As Matt said, the key is to find a way to get the bridle into place so you can connect it to the fore stay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

RickyTerzis wrote:
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the mast is not that heavy and pretty easy to lift into place. Of course, that's all relative - some people will find it harder than others, and some people may need assistance. As Matt said, the key is to find a way to get the bridle into place so you can connect it to the fore stay.

My thoughts exactly (actually lifted word-for-word) :shock: :? :o

EDIT: I guess some type of bot? Google find lots of posts by the same user name on a variety of boards, all with a similar format. Strange.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to explain what is meant by the "bridle eye strap" as described by mmiller for self stepping the mast on a hobie wave.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:07 am 
Site Admin

That is the anchor point on the bow for the bridle wire.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 am 
rbrower wrote:
Has anyone used the Hobie mast stepper on the Wave? Just wondering if it simplifies the process or does it add to the process? I sail mostly solo on a Bravo but recently purchased a Wave and plan on sailing solo with that as well..hgh pills
..have not tried a solo mast stepping on the Wave yet. Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I replaced the bridle wires with the ones from a Classic Wave. So easy to just clip them on to the bridle eye straps and go.

However I did set up a place for a block on the tongue of my trailer for an extra piece of line on the halyard. The eye strap trick seems really cool. Thank Matt

Charles