Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the red Hobie indicator and it catches on the bridle wires because they are at a steep angle. I could cut the red plastic or bend the mounting to make it clear. Anyway... I have decided to get a Telo-Cat instead. Does any one know if that clears the Wave bridle wires? I can't find the pointer dimensions.

Thanks, Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well Andy, old guys love to give advice, so ... use magnetic tape instead. Two strips taped to the bridle wires about 1.5 feet from the adjuster. Not long enough to reach the mast.

They're sensitive in light air, great for downwind, and you can use the backside of the mast as the tacking angle arm.

Any tape will do but I prefer 1/2 inch. A VHS tape from your parents basement or a thrift store will give you a lifetime supply for your whole fleet. Cheap too.

You're welcome.

Charles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ah... you assume I need to get VHS tape from my parents. Anyway, I've done the tape thing in the past, but I want a wind indicator that mimics those on larger sailing vessels. My old brain gets confused switching between wind indicators that stream away from the wind and those that point to the wind. My wife also hates that they work differently and that in itself is reason to buy a new one. She really wants me to fit a mast head windex on the Wave but I doubt that will work with the float and mast rotation, so I'm trying the Telo-Cat first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Telo-cat wind vane and it works fine on my Wave. No issues hitting the bridle. Hope this helps and have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, yes that helps. I have it now, an it looks nice but I haven't been out yet. Did you have to bend it to adjust the angle or did it fit 'as is'?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm remembering, ... I used to use one of these on a Hobie 18. Two actually since I considered it so necessary that I always carried a spare. What I do remember is that I used to cut the shaft shorter. Don't remember why. And put a saw cut in the support shaft, or drill it and put in a ring ding. As the thing gets used the "spring" in metal strip that holds it on the bridle wires got less springy and would not hold as well. It could slip down and then eventually fall off. Unless the top of the spring caught on a saw cut.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Finally had a chance to try out the new wind vane and loved it, especially with the constant wind shifts on our little lake. Very glad I bought it and the fit was great.

But would have lost it on the first try without the split-ring in the small hole at the top of the shaft. The springy piece that holds it in place does not work at all, as BigWhoop mentioned.