Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have any tips on turning into the wind on a breezy day? I do it just fine when it isnt that windy but when there are whitecaps I seem to stall out and cant get past the neutral point, end up jibing which is ok but maybe a bit exciting.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tacking in big wind is difficult for multihulls. It's even more difficult for cat rigged multihulls. They are lightweight (which is why they go so fast) but they carry little momentum through a turn. Takes practice. But instead of gybing, try backing down onto the new tack after failing to tack through the wind, you back up some, but it is generally a little less exciting than gybing a 270--it's also good practice to know how to back your boat down.

Another thing you can try but I can't guarantee it'll work consistently is to hold the middle of the main to weather before scurrying to the other side of the boat to "help" the boat through the eye of the wind. It does help on some boomless catrigged multis.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for your note

can you provide a bit more detail on the backing maneuver?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Joe. I tack 90% of the time, and I only sail when it's windy. The first couple times I tried in waves and a good wind, I blew so many tacks that I thought I would have to sail clear across Lake Huron. Here are some tips that were posted on this forum;

"Sailing close to the wind... feel where the boat is slowing or the sail is starting to luff. Turn away (fall off) a bit to gain some speed.
Sailing as close to the wind as you can without slowing is where you want to start the tack. You need some speed.
Begin your turn into the wind gradually. If you turn to sharply, the rudders act as a brake. Sheet the sail tighter as you head further
into the wind. Move weight aft. As the boat slows, turn harder.
Release the sheet completely as the sail luffs or starts to backwind. Force the sheets out by pulling the sail towards you if you have to.
The sail acts as a weather vane if you leave it sheeted. Slack in the sheet allows the hulls to continue to turn through the wind.
Keep the rudders turned as long as there is any forward progress, then release when the boat is stopped.
Cross over to the new sailing side. Allow the hulls to turn well past your intended new heading before starting to sheet the sail back in.
As you start sheeting in, the boat will try to head up. Hold the rudders firmly now.
Sheet in slowly to gain some forward movement before sheeting harder.

To add detail to tacking in higher winds.
Sailing close hauled. Keep up speed ease the boat into the turn sheet hard and hike out well aft. Turn the helm harder as the boat slows.
Sit up and release the main from the cleat but hold the tension until the main starts to luff. Fully release the main. Duck under the sail
to the new weather side. Still keeping the helm over, but main is fully released and sheeted out the bows continue around to the new tack.
Wait until well past close hauled and closer to a beam reach. Straighten rudders and start sheeting in slowly until the boat starts moving.
Then sheet tighter... off you go.

In waves you have to be aware of the peaks and troughs. Start a tack as you go over a peak. The next peak should help push the bows around
as you pass head to wind. Of course, it depends on the frequency of the waves too, but use the waves to help you tack."

I hope they will be of some help to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tha backing manouver. When you get as far around as you can in your tack but the boat just stops, try turning your rudders the opposite way you want to go. Then as the wind is pushing you backwards, the boat slowly turns the way you wanted to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, so you've blown a tack and your boat is stalled nearly head to wind. You may not have noticed, but you are being blown backwards-if you leave the rudders as you had them the boat will back down onto the tack you were on before trying to tack-if you reverse your rudders, you will back down onto the new tack you wanted to be on. After you back down sufficiently the boat will be on a close reach-put rudders amidships and your sailplan will again start to drive the boat forward. Looking down from above, a normal tack is a V shape; a blown tack and backing will resemble a Y shape.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow thats a lot of helpful info

thanks so much

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The guys here have a lot of great tips. I have a jib on my wave and it really helps the tacking. Just let the jib back wind and through the tack you go. I have not blown a tack in a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you begin to stall past the middle of a tack, sometimes if you back wind the main, it will push through.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All good tips also don't be quick to move to the other side of the boat too soon. Leave your weight on the lower side and wait for the jib to pull you through. Also as you crawl across the tramp you can use your back to bump up the boom and give it a little pocket patience grasshopper!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have a job that helps to come about . Trick like some have already said don't jump to other side to early. back steer works really well come about with speed . That way one gets to a new tack quicker