Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a used Wave and noticed that one of the 90 degree nylon fittings is attached to the crossbar with a rivet and the other is attached with a stainless screw. The one attached with the rivet swivels completely around while the one attached with a screw does not turn...it is fixed to the crossbar. Does anyone know if it should swivel or be fixed to the crossbar? Any suggestions how to correct the situation? Thanks for the help.....really love sailing the Wave from a very casual sail to a more exciting sail. Hobie hit a home run with these boats!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to Wave sailing!

What you describe sounds normal and is probably not really a "problem" because only one end needs to swivel for the system to work. Mine came with the original failure-prone tendons so when I did the upgrade, the one-side-only-swivel sounded odd to me at the time as well. But that's the way Hobie engineered it, and it works.

from the installation/upgrade instructions:

Quote:
With the tiller crossbar, you only install a rivet in one of the holes. On the hole that is 1-3/16" from
the end of the tube, turn the tiller end cap so that it is facing down and align the small hole in the plastic
part with the hole in the aluminum bar. Thread the small sheet metal screw into the hole and tighten
down. This will allow only one side to spin while the other is stationary.

Full pdf:

https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/1957z52.pdf?_ga=2.140680305.271904276.1500191227-991718453.1489732723

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info....you answered all my questions and the best part is that no mods/repairs are necessary. More time for sailing :D