Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found on here somewhere Matt's suggestion for solo mast stepping: "The wave comes with an extra long halyard to allow you to hook it to the bridle eye strap on the bow. Once you step the mast you pull the halyard tight and tie to the downhaul cleat. This would hold it upright so you can step off the trampoline and pin the forestay."

I used the bridle eye strap on the "starboard" bow (hull), pulled tight (I thought) and tied to the downhaul cleat. Something went wrong ... before just trusting everything I was still bracing the mast and I tried moving it bit and found it would completely fall over on the starboard side if I wasn't holding the mast up...so I'm doing something wrong. Is it because it's over far to the right using the bridal eye strap and not centred like the real forestay is? Should I add another pin to the adjuster on the bridal and attach the main halyard to that? Did I not pull it tight enough? Like should I be really tightening this like HARD!

Suggestions on where I went wrong? :? :?

I'm also interested in hearing other methods for solo stepping the mast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sharkdogg99...I ran into the same situation. To correct it I simply connected the halyard to the shackle connecting the bridles that are connected to the bow eye hooks, tighten the halyard and cleat it off. Once I connect the forestay cable to the adjuster I then disconnect the halyard from the shackle and remove the halyard from the cleat. To be super safe keep a spare clevis pin and ring ding in your pocket....just in case you drop them during the process. Using this method the mast is fully supported at all times. For de-masting I perform the same exercise in reverse order. Hopefully this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh, awesome! I'll give that a try. ☺ Thanks for the guidance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wasn't aware of the halyard solution so came up with something similar. I run a length of 550 paracord through the shackle that connects the stays to the mast, and tie the forward end to the bottom of the forestay adjuster. Then I raise the mast and support it with my shoulder while pulling the other end of the paracord to raise the adjuster into position. I cleat off the cord but keep supporting the mast, then reach around, pin the forestay, untie the cord and pull it down. I suspect the cord would support the mast if I let go, but no reason to take the risk.

To lower, I don't use the cord - just support with shoulder, unpin, lower.

I keep thinking I'll try the halyard solution.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Im no Ahnold but get away with just draping the bridle/ adjuster assembly next to the step, then step the mast, and with sufficient forward pressure, squat a little, grab the bridle assy, straighten back up, and mate it to the forestay leaning into the mast to keep it stable and upright. No tying/ untying halyard. Quick and easy. just keep letting the mast know whos boss.