Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chuck the Adjuster?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got out for our first sail on our Wave today. My wife and launched and sailed for an hour in 5-7. It was a breeze to set up and delight to sail.

When we came in the winds were picking up. Forecasted to be 15+ and I wanted to head back out for a solo sail . But I wanted to change the mast rake. I set rake pretty far forward for the light stuff we launched in.

Well, moving the mast back turned into a real PITA. The darn pins and rings, especially forestay adjuster, proved to be a real point of frustration. I am done with them! I am going to replace the front adjuster with a line. Easy to loosen that line, adjust the sidestays and then tighten the forestay to the appropriate tension for the conditions. Has anyone does this?

Post subject: Re: Chuck the Adjuster?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Actually the prototype Waves had dual forestays of spectra for easier adjustments. You might be able to use a strong spectra. It has to be no stretch. We can't recommend this though as it is less secure than a pinned attachment.

Loosen the shroud on one side first to allow slack at the forestay. Use the halyard to pull the mast forward to make that adjustment. Then adjust shrouds down. You can use the halyard to one side and then the other to get good tension on the wires.

If it is the rings... You need to learn a technique that makes the easy to use.

mmiller wrote:
Here are a couple of thoughts on clevis pins and rings (ring dings). They are definitely more secure than a quick release pin, so if you can learn to work with them they are the most secure connection. They don't require special tools. Small rings can be stiff, so a small blade driver to open may make them easier.

Normally you can pry open with your thumbnail. Place the nail in the ring within 1/8-1/4 inch of the end to pry open. push your thumb and forefinger in opposite directions to pry open. Slip onto the clevis pin and spin on.

Pry open with the clevis pin. Use the pin to wedge the ring open.

Pry open with a small tool.

There is a tool that holds them open for installation. Fishing shops may have that. Needle nose pliers or forceps work too.

Tape

I tape every ring that is not required to be removed. The ones at the anchor pin, twist toggle and shrouds (H16 / One side on other models requiring rig tensioning via the shroud). Tape helps to keep the rings from twisting out and covers the sharp ends that could catch on a sheet, rope or dock. Catching a line on a ring can pull them right out of a clevis pin. Also use boots over the adjusters. Use caution when pulling the boots down over the rings. Fold the ring flat against the adjuster / wire as you drop the boot down. This helps to prevent the boot from catching a ring and peeling it out.

Tape every ring that could possibly catch on lines or sails. This is especially true for spinnaker equipped boats or for longer voyages.

You can use a small piece of tape folded over the ring like bread on a sandwich or tape clear round the adjusters and rings several times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Using a line sounds much more frustrating and a lot less precise than the pins. If anything, I would just swap out the clevis pin with a ball lock pin (quick pin).

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Admin

We caution using ball lock pins. The balls can get stuck in and release causing rig failure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Switch from a standard ring ding to one with a pigtail. It's inner ring spirals in so the end is easily available. It's called a Split Ring w/ pigtail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

At this point I can get then on and off quickly except the one for my telo cat. For that one, I used needle nose pliers to slightly bend the end of the split ring outwards - just a slight bend in the first 1/4" of wire made it easier to engage. Maybe a similar bend on the other side would help getting it out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We caution using ball lock pins. The balls can get stuck in and release causing rig failure.

I went to ball lock pins for my forestay on my Getaway. I bought the ring-ding pliers, and still spent 10 minutes getting the dang little rings on and off. There just isn't the room for my fat fingers in there! Also, I dropped so many of the rings, I had to make a special trip to West Marine to get more.
I put wrapped elastic bands on the pins, so it holds them in place even if the ball lock fails. They are hair ties that I 'borrowed' from my grand daughters. :lol:

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

srm wrote:
Using a line sounds much more frustrating and a lot less precise than the pins. If anything, I would just swap out the clevis pin with a ball lock pin (quick pin).

sm

Ive had these fail. As in near new West Marine and the mini bearings werent properly peened into the pin. first one fell out, then the other. Thankfully it was caught before it walked out.