Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my Wave for 2 weeks and the Chesapeake Bay has been very cooperative at helping me get acquainted. The first couple of times out it was 7-8 knts followed by a couple times in the 8-10 range then a day at 10-12 and yesterday 15 with some guts into the low 20s. After sailing in the 15-20 I can see why the traveler would be useful.

I can get a used Harken traveler kit. I believe a Harken track would have to be mounted with screws. I assume the rear crossbar isn't thick enough to be tapped so the screws would have to go through the crossbar and attached with nuts. I saw on a Geoff Victor video he used a Hobie 16 traveler and he recommended drilling through the crossbar to mount it. I want to make sure there aren't any special issues or concerns. Any experiences /recommendations / insight on this approach?

Another question regarding the traveler; I've read the traveler is not class legal for racing. Are there any accommodations that would allow a boat with a traveler to race? What if the traveler is pinned or taped so it can not be used while for racing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used the Hobie kit for adding a traveler. I got it from Backyard Boats but probably any dealer can supply it. I've not had any regrets - it is riveted to the rear bar, not through-bolted like the Geoff Victor video, but it seems solid and is a much neater looking install.

Can't help you with the racing class question.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Certainly a traveler is a useful item when the wind gets big. An alternative to a traveler, however, exists and may require less mod but more skill to use. Simply change the mainsheet to a V with dual sheet blocks on either side of the boat. I think if you google dual mainsheet or split mainsheet you will see photos of such an arrangement. I'd post a photo for you but this forum requires more effort than I'm willing to expend in order to post a photo.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the factory traveler for my Wave. It's installed with rivets that came with the kit. You can mount it with screws if you needed to and you dont have to go through the entire cross bar. It would take some effort to attach the nuts. What I have done to attach nuts deep into places was to fashion an extension for my wrench. I have used a swifter pole and smashed the end around the wrench, (1/4" drive or box wrench) and with some patience, a flashlight and a helper I got the job done.
Now, on the Wave the cross bar end caps are held on by rivets, so the hulls would need to be removed from the cross bar and the rivets drilled (and replaced). With that said, it would be much easier to use rivets to attach the track no matter what brand you use.
You should be able to use countersunk rivets for the harken track