Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there an anti pitch pole device for the Hobie Wave? I know they're typically not needed but i did pitch pole mine once.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

zojoe wrote:
Is there an anti pitch pole device for the Hobie Wave? I know they're typically not needed but i did pitch pole mine once.

Happens pretty quick doesn't it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not aware of anything from Hobie.

But our friend Geoff has designed a custom installation. See starting at about the 9:45 mark below:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:

Only once. Yer not pushing it hard enough...

We were out at Oyster Point on the SF Bay, just north of SFO. Winds must have been gusting to 30. My crew was encouraging me to go faster as we passed in front of the fishing pier. I sheeted in, made a slight course correction and we were living on the edge of the boats performance. The Windward hull was flying, the fishermen watching and then we were swimming. The lee bow dug in and the boat cartwheeled, my crew became one with the mast and I'm sure the fishermen had the view of their life. So much fun, except for my barely conscious crewman.

I do like Geoffs anti-dive bow planes.

Fast forward to about min 4:45. Not a video of the above outing, I was lucky not to go swimming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmErd8on_g&t=40s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Indeed it does. I just don't want to pitch pole again w/my kid on board.................although he may enjoy it!

maxphunn wrote:
zojoe wrote:

Happens pretty quick doesn't it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool video- do you like your jib? And your right, if it only happened once I need to change that.

tradisrad wrote:
Quote:

Only once. Yer not pushing it hard enough...

We were out at Oyster Point on the SF Bay, just north of SFO. Winds must have been gusting to 30. My crew was encouraging me to go faster as we passed in front of the fishing pier. I sheeted in, made a slight course correction and we were living on the edge of the boats performance. The Windward hull was flying, the fishermen watching and then we were swimming. The lee bow dug in and the boat cartwheeled, my crew became one with the mast and I'm sure the fishermen had the view of their life. So much fun, except for my barely conscious crewman.

I do like Geoffs anti-dive bow planes.

Fast forward to about min 4:45. Not a video of the above outing, I was lucky not to go swimming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmErd8on_g&t=40s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wonder how the screws/bolts are supported from the inside of the hulls? I hate to drill into the hulls but if I have to I will. I was wondering if I could just use the bolts that hold the eyelets for the forestay lines at the front of the bows? That may not be enough support though. I need to see how they are attached on other Hobies. Thx for sending the video link.

Norm742 wrote:
I'm not aware of anything from Hobie.

But our friend Geoff has designed a custom installation. See starting at about the 9:45 mark below: