Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love my Telo-Cat wind vane but just bought a jib and can't figure out a good way to extend the Telo-cat mounting so the vane can spin freely. Also, not sure if the airflow will be messed up close to the jib anyway.

Has anyone found a good way to use these two together?

Thanks, Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There's a specific bracket for these...
https://www.murrays.com/product/08-1450d/

Hobie 18s have adapter brackets, as well: https://www.murrays.com/product/08-1451/
This will probably generalize to most furlers, but will give you an idea how to make your own with strips of aluminum and a vise.

Since you're posting in the Wave forum, I don't think you have a stock furling set up.

In any case, the slot between the bridle wires, above the hulls, and below the jib is pretty clean air when the boat is moving forward.

Randii

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the links.

The Wave jib is a bit unusual - I assume it's because the Wave was not really designed for a jib. The jib extends below the point where the bridle attaches to the forestay so the wind vane will catch on the luff if it's mounted in the normal way. I assume I have to build an extension bracket that moves the vane a few inches forward. Just not quite sure the best design. I have looked at cannibalizing the furler adapter but it seems too short. Also, because the vane will be a few inches in front of the sail's leading edge (not below the sail like other cats) I wonder if it will still be useful.

Other options would be to look for a completely different mounting place, but nothing jumps out to me.

Part of why I'm trying to keep the Telo-Cat is that it works the same way as the wind indicators on cruising boats, so there is no 'adjustment' of thinking needed. When I used string or tape, we'd get used to something that essentially worked backwards from a standard wind vane.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got a jib and the windfinder

they didn't tell me it wouldn't work.

I might have to call them...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the chance to try my jib this weekend. When sheeted in, there is quite a gap between the jib and the forestay. As a result, I was able to bend the Telo-Cat bar to move the vane slightly forward and there was no interference. I used a bench vice to hold it and bent the bar outward just below where it goes into the mount, then adjusted the existing bend to get the vane level. Trial and error was my approach!

I have quite a bit of mast rake (10-hole adjuster in 2nd hole from top) and it seems like this puts the jib further back than I expected. Not sure of that is why I have the big gap or if it's normal. Anyway, I'm good for now.