Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I have an older generation Club Wave; when stepping the mast last fall before storage, the mast step popped right off of the forward crossbar. All 4 rivets pulled out. What's the recommended fix? The holes in the forward crossbar are a bit ovaled now. The rivets seem to be aluminum (not SS as I've read with other posts on the forum). They look aluminum and a magnet does not stick to them. My normal meatball mechanics skills would say to drill everything to the next-size-up rivet, and then re-set it all...but I don't know if I should try OEM rivets first...or even what size rivets I need....or whether they should be aluminum or stainless. Can someone help? Weather is finally getting nice around here, I'd like to get it fixed soon and out on the water!

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am 
Site Admin

You can use 1/4" rivets or offset the holes for new material to drill into.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. Are the rivets supposed to be stainless or aluminum? Interesting idea using the standard Hobie 3/16 rivets and just drill 4 new holes all around. Would you say that's preferred to using 1/4" rivets in old holes? I am supposing I could find some 1/4" rivets locally, once I know stainless Vs aluminum.

Appreciate the advice

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Stainless for sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

...is there not a concern with galvanic corrosion? The SS rivets will touch the cast-aluminum mast step...and also go into the aluminum forward crossbar. If I recall my chemistry...wont the contact between the two different metals - especially in a we environment (I sail in fresh water)...and accelerate corrosion of the aluminum parts (the mast step base, and the forward crossbar)? As I mentioned...I am fairly sure that the original rivets were aluminum (not magnetic, look like aluminum).
Sorry so many questions, I just don't want to make anything worse.
thanks,
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Aluminum does not have shear strength, so we use stainless. You might find Monel Stainless which is said to be better for corrosion issues, but every Hobie and most every sailboat uses stainless for the strength.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got it. Thanks for the info. I am going to try to find 1/4” SS rivets and give it a go.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To reiterate, the rivets should be stainless (and there are many grades of stainless that are not magnetic, so using a magnet is not an effective way to determine stainless vs. aluminum).

The preference would be to use the next size larger rivet or you could attempt to use a rivet sleeve to take up the extra space from the ovalized holes. Personally, I would not recommend drilling four new holes in the crossbar since having a group of 8 holes right next to one another will weaken the crossbar. Whatever you do, the stainless rivets (especially 1/4" diameter) are going to be very difficult to pull unless you have a powerful rivet gun.

Regarding galvanic corrosion, you are correct. Stainless and aluminum will react causing the aluminum to corrode. If you sail in salt water, rinse off all of the aluminum parts after sailing. You can also put a corrosion inhibitor (Tefgel) on the rivets before installing and this will really help to reduce any corrosion.

sm