Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking at first Wave
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Morning all. I have been looking to get back in cat sailing. I had a H16 many years ago, and have been monohull for the past 20. For a lot of reasons I'm looking at the Wave. The only one I have found is a couple of hours away. Before I go look, any tips on specific issues, wear points, common problems, etc. to look for? Price on this boat is $2500.

Here's what I know from the owner....

It's a Classic, not sure of the year. I forgot to ask in my message, waiting for him to get back to me.
Comes on a modified homemade trailer, roadworthy. Not real concerned about this.
Everything is original and nothing is missing.
Sails in good shape, no telling what he considers good shape. Will have to eyeball these myself.
Tramp is sagging and cups holders are ripped.

My assumption is the tramp and standing rigging will need to be replaced ($500 ttl), maybe running rigging. If the sails are blown out, I may walk away if he sticks to his number.

Picture if the link works.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... x6q9rasbF9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

keel wear. stripped out fasteners, cracks in aluminum. missing parts.

You may be disappointed with theperformance of the Wave compared to the h16, but you'll like howmany people you can haul with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
keel wear. stripped out fasteners, cracks in aluminum. missing parts.

You may be disappointed with theperformance of the Wave compared to the h16, but you'll like howmany people you can haul with it.

Thanks. The Wave is still faster than any of the monohulls I've raced, including 36 footers. Stable at about any windspeed and fast to rig are the biggest plusses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Boat is a 1996. Anything specific about these? Rudders and assemblies, mast base, tiller, etc that may have specific issues or wear? What would you upgrade? What do you think about the $2500 price tag, assuming no major damage to hulls or cracked casting? I know it needs a tramp, and I always assume standing rigging. Homemade trailer, looks like a cheapo with some lumber, which is fine with me. Sails we'll have to see if I make the 2 hour drive. Just trying to estimate cost after purchase. There is also a Getaway a bit further, but it has apparently had some upgrades over the years. Same price. Thanks for your patience, if this was across town I would just run over and check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I paid a. Bit less for my ‘96. Hulls and sail were excellent cond. only was missing the forestay. A fun boat. Tramp had a few small tears but workable. Had the rubber elbows at the bar joining the tillers instead of swing joints. I didn’t have a problem with it. I also preferred the tuneable older style 2 pc rudder housing assy over the newer fixed type.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. The boat is a bit out of town, and cats are not common around north Texas, so it might be a hard sale for him. It' only been posted for 5 days, so I think I may get him off the price. That or someone snatches it up before I can get out there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

also check the comp tip for cracks, loose tang/ fittings, slivers, excessive slop when fit in mast, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.