Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I run a furling gennaker on a 10 foot sprit/spinnaker pole. I've got it working well but the two piece Wave mast with the comp tip is failing at the junction. I'd like to create a single length all aluminum mast from an old Hobie 14 mast. Would that work?

The Wave mast is 19'11" long with the hound at 13'8". The H14 mast is 22" feet long with the hound at 14'10". Starting with the H14 I could cut off 14" from the bottom to set the hound height. Then cut 11" from the top to set the overall length. Then I can remount the Wave mast base and head to the new all metal extrusion to complete the mast.

Matt, the original Wave came with a H14 mast step, right? Is the old H14 mast EXACTLY the same extrusion as the Wave such that the head and foot castings would fit? Is there anything with wall thickness I should worry about?

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Anyone else running a big headsail? Anyone else replace a mast?

I'm considering adding spreaders and diamond wires since I have an old broken Nacra mast with its spreader gear intact. FRANKEN-WAVE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

dparker wrote:
Matt, the original Wave came with a H14 mast step, right? Is the old H14 mast EXACTLY the same extrusion as the Wave such that the head and foot castings would fit? Is there anything with wall thickness I should worry about?

The mast extrusion and the original base / step casting were exactly the same as the 14.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested in how this works out - I'm going a slight different angle on the whole subject - I have a wave I bought and am modifying to shorten the mast/sail due to my lake's rules but expect I'll be sourcing a "plan b" set up in case I want to take it out to the beach that restores a "tall version".

My pondering is will a newer hobie 14 comptip fit a wave lower section if I chop it down to wave length. I inquired to Matt and he pointed out the rigging bracket attachment point might have some reinforcement in the other comptip in the fiberglass. (I guess that's the official disclaimer? )

I rented a Hobie Wave in Belize and after looking at my videos I now realize the guy had a hobie 14 sail on it. No boom so now I was wondering if he just put the taller comptip on and made it taller and used the 14 sail.

Can one just put the taller mast on a wave and sail with the H14 mast height/sail without wrecking things? Curious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
the two piece Wave mast with the comp tip is failing at the junction

I believe that Getaway sailors are required to epoxy the two mast sections together so they don't have problems with the stress from bigger sails. Maybe that's a simpler solution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The reason mine is failing is that I'm loading it up with a huge-ass mast-head gennaker. When it's blowing 15+ the top of the mast bends forward about a foot above the hound, even with the main sheeted in block to block. It's a scary thing to see. It's just not designed for that load. I'm an idiot. However, some old H14 mast are solid aluminum and should be belter suited to the abuse. Spreaders and diamonds with forced rotation would be better still.