Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave mast issue
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at a used 2017 Wave. I noticed the bottom of the mast has a gap (see pic.). Is this an issue? It is solid with no movement.

Post subject: Re: Wave mast issue
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast base is clearly pulling out of the mast extrusion. It should be seated flush to the bottom of the extrusion. Probably not too big of a deal, but should be fixed. You would need to drill out the rivets, push the base back up where it belongs, and re-install rivets. Assuming some of the holes are ovalized/damaged (the front one obviously is), you would probably want to drill a few additional holes and install install some extra rivets to hold the base in.

The other question would be what caused this? My guess is someone either dropped the mast or had it rotated improperly when lowering it. I would check carefully for other damage or a bend in the mast.

sm

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am wondering if it will need a new mast base. The front hole in the mast extrusion appears to be broken. The side holes are not broken so it would seem like either the mast base holes or the rivets broke on those. The base didn't feel loose at all though.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mast base cost about 36 USD. However, it looks like made from silumin and IMHO driling additional holes in it without cracking may be dificult. Alternatevly, you may cut the extrusion and make new holes in designed locations.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not cut the extrusion. Doing so would change the overall mast length. I’m actually starting to wonder if the base was installed incorrectly (not fully seated) by the factory.

In any case, you won’t know the full story until you remove the existing rivets from the mast, but adding a couple extra rivet holes to the mast should not be an issue. Just mark the hole locations carefully and use a center punch before drilling so your drill bit doesn’t wander. Worst case, you end up replacing the mast base, but they’re relatively inexpensive as mentioned above.

Bottom line, I wouldn’t let this issue stop me from buying the boat as long as everything else about the boat is in acceptable condition.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Water in the mast over the winter & froze? Steve C.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Just pound back in and add new rivets in new locations.

This happened because they twisted the mast a bit when lowering. The casting hung on the threaded post below the ball. The casting stopped rotating and the mast continued and busted the rivet holes.

The slot in the aft side of the casting will show serrated marks from contacting the post.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)