Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was lucky enough to score a great deal on a complete and unused spinnaker & kit for my Wave for $350 and now I have a few questions I hope to find the answers to.

1. (most important question)The mast tang is supposed to be placed 20" above the shroud tang. I taped it in place to see that that is going to be like and I hoisted the spinnaker. What I found it that the sail between the mast tang and the bow spirit is not pulled tight, but rather it has about 10" of extra sail before it pulls tight. Is it normal for the spinnaker to be loose like this? (unlike the jib and main) Or do I need to place the spinn tang higher on the mast?

2. There is no sheet cleat for the spinnaker. Does the spinnaker sheet ever get cleated? Why/why not?

3. There is no snuffer bag for the sail. What the heck do I do with it when it's on the deck? It came with a large bag that it can be placed in; is that what I use? Is there a snuffer kit that would fit the wave and not cost more than the sail?

4. Hoisting the sail is obvious, but is the retrieval process is not. Do I simply pull it down by hand and stuff it in the bag?

If anyone has pictures of their spinnaker set up I would like to see them. I will take a few pics of mine...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't own that boat but it could be that the slack you have now is there so the sail can fill to its designed shape once in the wind. Hopefully somebody from Hobie will get back to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excess sail in my hand. The head is tight to the mast tang:

Here is how it hangs:

2nd shot:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hard to see from pics, but looks like your spin pole is too high. Never sailed a Wave before but on my 18 spin pole is below/under the bridle wires. Mine is suspended in the middle under the bridle/forestay with lines from the tip of the spin pole to the bow tangs. Tighten these lines to induce a prebend downward on the pole.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I initially thought the spinn pole was too high (there are very few pictures on the internet for comparison), but I have no control over the height as the cables from the pole to the bows are factory and I will assume they are the correct length.
The pole does sit below the bridal by roughly 18" and a bungee cord goes between the pole and the bridal.
There is not talk of pre-bend in the pole and I am not sure it's necessary with only 60sq feet of spinnaker.
I have not installed the tang yet; I only want to do it once. It is held on by tape for the test fit.

So, does the luff (is that what it is called on the spinnaker?) need to be tight between the pole and mast tang? It does not look correct as it sits now.

thanks for the input and I look forward to some more answers and perhaps a picture or two....

This is the best internet picture I can find and the front of the sail looks fairly tight between the mast and pole and the sail is not hanging to the side like mine; also the pole appears to be attached with rope and not cable and clips like mine...:

This example of a somewhat similar boat and there is halyard above the head of the spinnaker. I think this is how it should be rigged. This would allow for varying the tension of the luff?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

To add to the confusion I found one more set of instructions that say to place the spinnaker tang 24" inches above the shroud tang.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
2nd shot:

That power line looks awfully close to your mast. Yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The pole is too high for sure. The shot from our catalog is as expected. The pole is much lower.

The stock Hobie instructions are here: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/38999000z52.pdf

Tang is 24" above shroud tang.

Bridles should be about 3' long.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The bridals are 42 inches long from the clip end to the pole:

The pole sits 21 inches above the center of the spreader bar.
I am pretty sure the kit is a Hobie kit. Here is a picture of what I bought ( the sail and 3 blocks are not shown & I think the main sheet is included):

I will try the spinnaker tang at the 24" mark and see what happens, however looking at the old instructions I think it's the same distance just measured from a different place.

I could take a few inches out of the bridal for the pole. The bungee is fairly taught and a few more inches may max it out.

Any more thoughts before I drill the mast?
thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Pole is way to high. I would shorten bridles. Copy closer to the catalog shot.

Spec of the current bridle would be about 36-37" including the hooks I think. You can estimate by using lines to make temp bridles to test.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I mocked up a shorter bridal for the spinnaker pole. I chose 38" inches; 36" for the wire length and 2" for the clip. This lowered the pole by about 10 inches. I did not have time to raise the mast and hoist the sail. Maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up using 38" inches for the length of the bridal and clip and I think I have a good angle on the pole. It's all installed and I now need some wind to test it out.
Thanks for all the help
-Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Looks WAY better.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem the 20 inches is for Hobie 16 and my tang is too low.I will raise it 5 inches

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your spin pole is still way to high. I’ll try to post the measurement between the pole and spreaderbar tomorrow