Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Wave Vs Bravo?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interested in a Hobie Wave. I have a utility trailer (~ 4' 6" wide, 10' long) and I'm not really interested in buying / registering another trailer for a catamaran. Are the Wave's hulls easily separated /rejoined to the trampoline for more compact transport to fit on my current trailer (i.e. without deconstructing the tramp lacing)?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hobie Wave Vs Bravo?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Throw a couple 4x4s on there to make it wide enough? Way easier than disassembly. You need to undo the tramp to disassembly, so that can be a pain if it is a Club version... 3 piece tramp with lacing. The classic is easy and quick to disassemble.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As Matt stated it is a pain to disassemble a Wave with a tramp. I did it each off-season to store my Wave and it was a work out to assembly it each spring. But on the plus side it was great to be able to disassemble it each winter so I could store it in my garage attic.

Another idea for you to consider is using strut channel instead of 4x4s to widen the trailer. When I had my Wave I modified/widened a small boat trailer with strut channel. It's 1 5/8" square steel channel found in the electrical section of Home Depot. It's sold in 10' lengths and I have a chop saw for metal that I used to cut it, but you could probably cut through it with a metal hack saw as well.

I choose the strut channel because it has slots along the whole length so I could easily mount rollers and it was easy to hook ratchet straps onto the strut. I also mounted a sail tube onto the strut.

Obviously 4x4s would work just as well, I just choose the strut because I use it for my work. Just offering another idea.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I modified a trailer that we used to carry kayaks, to carry my Bravo, it's not difficult. I too asked the same question, Wave vs Bravo to re-learn sailing after 40 years and went Bravo for the furling sail. I will buy a Wave pretty soon as that HARD plastic is hard on my old joints and butt, lol. Anyway, back to the point, I will modify the trailer as needed when I get a Wave.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi KingstonKai,

I recently modified a utility trailer in the manner that mmiller mentioned. I bolted a few 2x4s to the trailer to widen it and cut up an old rug I had to provide some padding. I put an extra 2x4 on the very front support as the bow of the hull rises up a bit. This arrangement has been working out, but I do wish I had used something a bit thicker than a 2x4: the center of the 2x4 bows upwards a bit with the boat on the boards. I'm planning to add some more supports and finding a way to reinforce it a bit.