Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We got a new to us 2010 Wave. I am online ordering parts for a new mast step post and step ball. The one on the Wave we bought was bent and the ball was gouged. It appears the step casting is in good shape. I have read a bunch of posts in this forum to learn more about the Wave. We have sailed them a few times on vacations and I always have thought it would be fun to have one for our boys (and us) to sail. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.

I plan on buying the jib spreader bar and tang for the spreader right now (not the kit since it is $500) and it sounds like it will stiffen the hull a little. Since this is a replacement bar do I also need to buy the end cap for the wave spreader? Also, if down the road I want a jib, it sounds like I would like it bigger would I have to purchase the kit or can I just complete it with spare parts? Truthfully when we have the money, I will get the Spinnaker kit and a Spinnaker as that sounds more useful and the boys love flying spinnakers.

The boat has been sitting in the yard for a while and had water in it. At one point in its history it was kept in the water as there is peeling bottom paint. However there are no stress cracks anywhere and really no scratches to the boat. The pads look like they would clean up, but I am thinking that the port under them could be where the water came from leaking or maybe they never emptied the boat after it was kept in the water. Please forgive the pictures of a dirty boat. We have not washed it yet. Should I order a replacement port (looks like I want to buy a regular inspection port vs the current one?) and new pad for the one where the port is or should I just leave it for now and sail? Would water seep under a pad in this condition?

Here is the paint, any ideas on how to clean it up or remove it without hurting the hull?

Also any idea what this screw sticking out is for? I think the strap in front of it is to hold down the mast.

Here is a link to the album with pictures if the photos don't post https://photos.app.goo.gl/4fQnYQZ7NK3JYnLy7

Any other advice about what needs to be done/ checked before sailing? I will replace the lines.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Re. leaks through under seat ports: start sailing, if boat will take too much water - peel the pads, reseal ports. I don't think you'll need new pads/ports for that.

Re. additional checks: check wires that hold the mast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed my wave for a couple of years with out the jib. and didnt notice anything for making it stiffer.

But wow does the jib make the boat handle better and tack much simpler in hi winds.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CA Newbie wrote:
Re. leaks through under seat ports: start sailing, if boat will take too much water - peel the pads, reseal ports. I don't think you'll need new pads/ports for that.

Re. additional checks: check wires that hold the mast.

Thank you, I will ignore them for now. Good idea on the wires, we got the mast up last night and the wires are looking okay for now, but I think we will at least get the forestay and connector wires replaced even though I see nothing, so the mast cannot fall backwards.

imfsub12 wrote:
I sailed my wave for a couple of years with out the jib. and didnt notice anything for making it stiffer.

But wow does the jib make the boat handle better and tack much simpler in hi winds.

We have not been out yet, but that may make a difference in my boys enjoying it, as they are used to racing dinghies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are picks how to set it up so the lines dont get caught up

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

But it more fun i would say with the jib.

I feel it get more wind shape for the main sail..

I have taken it out last year with me about 185lbs and a 14 year old in 20kts wind and wow we it was a blast. we even submarined the front hulls. hard to do on the wave.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

imfsub12 wrote:
Here are picks how to set it up so the lines dont get caught up

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

But it more fun i would say with the jib.

I feel it get more wind shape for the main sail..

Thank you, one question about the jib setup you shared. It looks like the jib sheets are lead pretty far back. Does that get in the way of tacking if there are a few kids on the boat? I kind of see it if the boys take out friends, more people can have a job on the boat with a jib. Also are the cleats easy to avoid or do you find people sitting or hurting themselves on them while hiking or coming up to the new side after a tack?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have sailed with adults in hi winds and it's a way for them to hold on to something. as in the from you can put your feet under the hiking straps but now you can hold on to the line. And I always tell the crew that where the jib hardware connects it the perfect spot to go up your a... so be careful and not sit on hit as it will hurt and break.

I wouldn't sail in hi winds with more than 2 people as things happen fast.

I was out in 15 plus kts last might by my self and some time I had no choice but to do a 270 instead of tack as the winds wouldn't let me and it's a fast if you muck up over you go.

But in lithger wind sure put 4 people on it and have a drink. but if the kids know how to sail then give it a try but there is not much room to move around. but they could be use to that.

Plus there is no boom but i have been wacked with the hook a couple of times in lightvwinds when i have not been paying attention.

Go have fun and don't forget you life jackets and paddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

imfsub12 wrote:
I have sailed with adults in hi winds and it's a way for them to hold on to something. as in the from you can put your feet under the hiking straps but now you can hold on to the line. And I always tell the crew that where the jib hardware connects it the perfect spot to go up your a... so be careful and not sit on hit as it will hurt and break.

I wouldn't sail in hi winds with more than 2 people as things happen fast.

I was out in 15 plus kts last might by my self and some time I had no choice but to do a 270 instead of tack as the winds wouldn't let me and it's a fast if you muck up over you go.

But in lithger wind sure put 4 people on it and have a drink. but if the kids know how to sail then give it a try but there is not much room to move around. but they could be use to that.

Plus there is no boom but i have been wacked with the hook a couple of times in lightvwinds when i have not been paying attention.

Go have fun and don't forget you life jackets and paddle

Thank you, our whole family are experienced dinghy sailors. Both my boys (11 and 13) have sailed optis and a Meleges 24 and my oldest has also sailed 420's and Lasers. We sail a bunch and wanted a fun boat that they could take a friend or two out on. I never thought about holding the lines while hiking. I do like to hold onto a line while hiking (all my years hiking in a dinghy).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that will fly with the young kids on it.

Ya it nice to have something to hold on as we broke my hicking straps last year when we pitched it over. sand that had to do in the wave