Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, new joiner here. Just picked up a used 2008 Hobie Wave in great shape. Mainly just needs replacement seat pads (getting blue butt!) and tramp tubes (they are brittle and cracking). For the pads, I followed advice from this forum and picked up a sheet of Hydroturf. For the tubes however, I was wondering if I could use some 1/2” or 3/4” schedule 40 PVC pipe instead. The Hobie tubes are $10.99 each (!) and I’d need 8. PVC is much more durable, stiffer and cheaper. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

PS a bit about me. Grew up racing 110’s, Dragons, and Flying Fifteens. Took a 40 year hiatus (college, kids, life in general) and now starting to get back into sailing. Fixed up an old 1976 Laser a few years ago, but looking for something that my wife and I could sail together. Enter the Wave. Had tried one back in Jamaica on a holiday and loved it. Found my Wave about 250 miles from home so worked out a good deal and brought her back a few weeks ago!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went ahead and tried it anyway. For anyone thinking of doing this, it works great. You’ll ideally want 3/4” so that the knots on either end of the tramp cable can rest inside the tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

you might want to try garden hose too, that seems to work pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I also use pvc pipe to put the tramp cables in been doing that for a number of years. Have a 1997 wave. I have replaced one of the cables it started to fray with the friction of the metal hooks. Clark